[SOLVED] 144Hz monitor reverts itself to 60Hz when playing a game

Oct 7, 2019
Hello,

I have a dual monitor setup 1 monitor is 144Hz the other is 60Hz I went into display settings and put them on the right refresh rate but when i start up a game or even youtube on the 144Hz screen it just reverts itself back to 60Hz.
Could this be because my graphics card doesn't allow it? (GTX 1070)
If anyone knows why this happens and how to fix it please tell me.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Which one is the primary display? ie 1. If 1 is the 60hz monitor that would make sense.

GTX1070 certainly supports 144hz through display port and Dual Link DVI. HDMI is questionable, especially if the monitor doesn't have a late revision of HDMI.

So #1, use DP for your 144hz panel if possible. Make sure it is the primary. Check your Nvidia control panel settings for any forced settings as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Which one is the primary display? ie 1. If 1 is the 60hz monitor that would make sense.

GTX1070 certainly supports 144hz through display port and Dual Link DVI. HDMI is questionable, especially if the monitor doesn't have a late revision of HDMI.

So #1, use DP for your 144hz panel if possible. Make sure it is the primary. Check your Nvidia control panel settings for any forced settings as well.

Solution
Oct 7, 2019
First of all this was for a friend so I'll tell him the Nvidia Control Panel thing next time i speak to him.
However this is what I do know.
The 144Hz display is definitely set as the primary display, and with DisplayPort.

Anyways thank you for replying, means a lot.

Last edited: