Question 16gb ram only showing 8gb usable, but 16gb installed windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
so basically I bought dual channel 8gb(2x4) corsair vengeance lpx 2666Mhz same as the old one, the problem is my windows only read 8gb "usable" from installed 16gb memory.
i checked the bios and from cpu-z it all said i have 16gb ram. any solution? thanks before
Spec
mobo: gigabyte ab350-gaming 3
cpu: rayzen 5 1600
memory : 8gb(2x4)corsair vengeance lpx 2666Mhz (2)
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti

Have you tried updating the bios? Defo do that, if you haven't already.

It's not really advisable to add another single DIMM to another single DIMM. It doesn't always work. Best option is to buy a matched kit, as in 2 x 8 or 4 x 4, or whatever, and sell your current ram to offset the cost.

Are you using XMP in the bios to set timings? If so, it might be worth setting timings and voltage manually. This sometimes works, where XMP may not.

edit: Specially with Ryzen, when you have 4 DIMMS slots populated, you have to dial back speeds. With four DIMMS slots populated, you may only get 2400mhz, so that may be part of the issue. This is what the IMC guarantee's. But you may be able to get everything to run at 2666mhz with all four DIMMS, with some tinkering around in the bios mem settings.

Jan 27, 2020
Have you tried updating the bios? Defo do that, if you haven't already.

It's not really advisable to add another single DIMM to another single DIMM. It doesn't always work. Best option is to buy a matched kit, as in 2 x 8 or 4 x 4, or whatever, and sell your current ram to offset the cost.

Are you using XMP in the bios to set timings? If so, it might be worth setting timings and voltage manually. This sometimes works, where XMP may not.

edit: Specially with Ryzen, when you have 4 DIMMS slots populated, you have to dial back speeds. With four DIMMS slots populated, you may only get 2400mhz, so that may be part of the issue. This is what the IMC guarantee's. But you may be able to get everything to run at 2666mhz with all four DIMMS, with some tinkering around in the bios mem settings.

Ive done updating the latest bios.
I was buying the same exact dual kit as i bought the other day, so it is 4x4 supposedly?
Ive done doing the regedit things. (nothing happens)
Ive done basically anything google provides LOL, except the re-install windows.

Any idea with the timing RAM? ive tried 16 18 18 24 56 it didnt work. Thanks

Jan 27, 2020
Ive done updating the latest bios.
I was buying the same exact dual kit as i bought the other day, so it is 4x4 supposedly?
Ive done doing the regedit things. (nothing happens)
Ive done basically anything google provides LOL, except the re-install windows.

Any idea with the timing RAM? ive tried 16 18 18 24 56 it didnt work. Thanks

it solved in a mysterious ways LOL, reattach the DIMM randomly and voila!!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Status
Not open for further replies.