[SOLVED] 1st Time Builder, Time to Clean

tcprix

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2016
So successfully loving my custom PC omg it's so nice. Gf wanted it off the desk and on the ground and when I went to plug in the track ir usb the other day with a bright flashlight on the back and saw how much dust was there I almost vomited. It's only about 6 months old but we have 2 cats so they do not help one bit with dust/hair.

THAT being said, I need some tips on how to clean the outside of my case all the way to the inside. I bought a couple cans of compressed-gas (electronics duster from staples). So far I hear keep a vacuum far away as it has static and the only other option I've heard is using Q-Tips and Rubbing Alcohol.

Any advice is appreciated thank you.

Solution
You should be able to get a lot of the dirt out using compressed air. Try getting your hands on a small paint brush to remove the dirt that is really stuck. I usually stay away from using Rubbing Alcohol inside the case or near the computer parts and generally use it to clean the case or case fans (which tend to have the nastiest dirt stuck to them). Use zip ties after you are done cleaning to eliminate the amount of dirt/dust the pc accumulates.

I stopped placing my PC on the bottom of my desk years ago as it accumulates the most dirt, along with cat hair (I have two cats) and other nasty stuff. Now I leave it high up on my desk and try and clean it every 2 - 3 months to prevent the real nasty stuff from sticking.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
You should be able to get a lot of the dirt out using compressed air. Try getting your hands on a small paint brush to remove the dirt that is really stuck. I usually stay away from using Rubbing Alcohol inside the case or near the computer parts and generally use it to clean the case or case fans (which tend to have the nastiest dirt stuck to them). Use zip ties after you are done cleaning to eliminate the amount of dirt/dust the pc accumulates.

I stopped placing my PC on the bottom of my desk years ago as it accumulates the most dirt, along with cat hair (I have two cats) and other nasty stuff. Now I leave it high up on my desk and try and clean it every 2 - 3 months to prevent the real nasty stuff from sticking.

Solution
First....I would stress that...don't get too crazy about cleaning.

I think I have seen more problems caused by people cleaning their PCs than the problems the cleaning could have potentially prevented.

I also am responsible for many PCs in a filthy plant....so I think I have a good idea regarding how dirt affects PCs....and my conclusion is....dirt isn't as big of a problem as some people think.

That all being said....all I think you should do on occasion is blow the dust out....maybe once or twice a year. I don't see any need or benefit of doing anything else. Use the compressed gas. If the pressure is high....keep it back a bit. I have seen the force of pressurized air ruin things.

As far as the q-tips and alcohol....I use those all the time when there's a problem....but for general cleaning I don't use them.

As far as the case....just a slightly damp cloth should work. You don't want drips anywhere near your PC.

I use the same 7 gallon air tank I use for the tires of my vehicles. I pump it up to 100 psi or so and use a trigger nozzle and blast the dust out from about 2 feet away. I have a 5 micron filter in line. I've been doing it like this for 40 years and haven't screwed up a PC yet.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Best tips that I can offer. When blowing out a pc, shoot from the inside to the outside to blow the dust out of the filters, if there are any. When blowing on the either the heatsink or gpu, hold the fans just so you don't blow a barring. Beyond that you should be fine.

I bought something similar.
FWIW, I think they are too strong for the purpose.

logainofhades

Titan

Jayztwocents I know uses that particular one. I found it through a link on one of his vids. I just haven't gotten around to buying one. I hate canned air, personally.