Question 2/4 of my SSDs (one brand new) are not showing up in BIOS or in Windows

michael267

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
PARTS:
  • Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming
  • Ryzen 5 1600
  • NVIDIA 1660 Super
  • 1 TB NVMe SSD [WORKING]
  • 250 GB Samsung SSD [WORKING]
  • 250 GB SanDisk SSD [NOT WORKING]
  • 1 TB SanDisk SSD [NOT WORKING]
  • 550 Watt fully modular PSU [JUST INSTALLED TODAY]
  • Old PSU was a 500 Watt semi modular

ISSUE:
  1. My PC was set up with the NVME + SanDisk SSD + Samsung SSD and was working fine, but the power supply was failing.
  2. Today I replaced the power supply and also installed a brand new 1 TB SanDisk SSD.
  3. Both SanDisk SSDs are not recognized in Windows or BIOS.

ATTEMPTED FIXES:

1. I have tried 2 different power cables. One from the original PSU and one from the new one.
  2. I am using a power cable from the old PSU on my working samsung SSD. That same power cable has another connector which I tried to use on the 250 GB sandisk.
  3. I have tried a mix of 4 different SATA cables.
  4. I have tried a mixture of my 7 SATA mobo slots
  5. I have not touched my samsung ssd, which is connected to sata port 0, because I am afraid that it will stop working if I unplug it and plug it back in.
  6. I have tried checking bios but every slot except the samsung in slot 0 says [NOT INSTALLED]
  7. I have tried checking create/format hard disk partitions but they do not show up
  8. I have had a live chat with SanDisk support, they recommended trying a sata to USB and my support agent thought that both drives have failed. This seems almost impossible to me.

Thanks for the help. Any advice at all is appreciated

michael267

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
It is entirely possible, indeed highly likely, that you fried those drives.
Seriously.

Cables from modular PSUs are NOT interchangeable.
Should I unplug the samsung ssd (currently connected using an old cable) and plug it in using the new one? Im worried that if I unplug it then it will stop working. It is my boot drive