[SOLVED] 2 different m.2 slots which to use for Samsung 970 evo plus?

Jun 16, 2020
Hey I can’t seem to find anything information on this matter would greatly appreciate some help!

So I’ve recently purchased the Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB and want to fit it to my Asus strix 270i gaming mini itx board
The manual states there is 2 m.2 slots both supporting m key design and 3.0 pcie *4
But at the end says each “for sata storage device and the other for pcie storage device”
I’ve tried both the ssd works In both the problem is the pcie storage device slot is on the back of the motherboard and the ssd gets too hot so I’ve put into my front slot “ sata storage device” which comes with a heat sink from the motherboard and gets the air flow from the case? Am I taking a performance hit here for better cooling the only reason I moved it to the front slot is for that, would it be possible to attach a heat sink on the back of the motherboard if I am taking a performance hit

Solution
Performance is the same in either slot.

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1