Question 2 NVMe in PCIe are no longer recognized in Windows after config change in BIOS (X370 / ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2)

Jun 15, 2021
2 NVMe in PCIe are no longer recognized in Windows after config change in BIOS (X370 / ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2)

First, it worked perfectly before...
I have 3 NVMe, and a couple of S-ATA SSDs and HDDs... A real bunch of disks, just to know..

My Mainboard is an ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming X, X370 Chipset most recent Bios P6.00
A couple of months ago, i bought my 3rd NVMe, one is Full Speed on Board, 2nd onboard - as expected from x2 PCIe2.0 - and a 3rd one was mounted on a PCIe X4 simple adapter for 16 bucks and works great in the second x16 slot.... But to have maximum possible numbers just on screen - needed such a multiple slot PCIe NVMe Extension Card.
All worked fine, and ASRock - as the same time provided with an BIOS Update and finally implementes the PCIe Mode x8x4x4 (prev. only x8x8)... So it was perfectly configured and worked -
as expected 2 NVMe in slots 1 and 2 - with 4 Lanes each and 8 for the Graphics card.. BTW die disks are one HP EX920 512 GB an 2x WD Blue 500 GB

2 weeks ago i (not really sure what i changed exactly) i just tried to set the NVMe mode to RAID to try sth...
Didn't work, AMD Raid Adapter showed up in windows w/o drivers... But as i didn't want to setup a raid, i didn't care and switched back in the bios.

And from this time on, the 2NMVe Controllers in the ASUS card are no longer showing up - IN WINDOWS - the drives, sure, neither...
If i dig into the connection tree in Device Manager - even there - nothing -the whole PCIe shows just my one in the Ultra Slot onBoard which is not affected..
BIOS: looking normal, all 3 NVMe showing up as before - when working.. Config as before....
The Boot behavior takes now forever to start to boot from my working one... no message, no error, just sits there for a minute or two....

So i mounted the disks back to before - one on boards over chipset and the 2nd one in the cheap x4 adapter card....
And without changing anything in Bios all Controllers and drives are back... event the x4 card sitting in the same place as the asus card... using the same first 4 PCIe Lanes....

Any Idea? I have not tried really much, but BIOS settings, and after more than an hour it sucked.. so bios i believe i've tried all settings possible, but no reset....
Greets, Stephan..

Jun 15, 2021
Not really :) It has to be set to, in my case "x4x4" because each NVMe needs it's separated 4 Lanes.. Best Case would be "x4x4x4x4", (x8 as well as x16 would result in that you just can see only the first NVMe, because all 16 lanes are presented as one device..)

TRENDING THREADS