2 or 4 sticks of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibbley247

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I have the z370 Auros gaming mother board. with
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) 3200 MHz DDR4

Wondering when it comes, is it better to go for another 2 sticks of the same, or got for 2 sticks 16gb instead? If it's better to go with 2 stick rather than 4, then i'll buy 2 dummy sticks for aesthetics then.

Thanks

Solution
Even buying exactly the same 2x8gb kit and trying to run it with your current 2x8gb can have issues. RAM should be bought as a complete matched kit to avoid issues, RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason.

I’d also say 16gb is more than enough but if you want 32gb and have the budget then why not.

Ignore the quad channel point above. No socket 1151 cpu’s support quad channel.
Not an area I’m knowledgeable on but I have read that 2 sticks is better as it puts less stress on the memory controller.

Also you don’t want to buy another 2x8gb. Mixing RAM kits always carries a risk of issues, even if the same make an model. You want your RAM to come from a single kit.

Also what are you doing that 16gb isn’t enough?

If you can afford 32GB now then I would say buy the 2X16GB. If you go the route of buying 2X8Gb now and buy another 2X8GB later, you may have stability problems. Best to get matched sets now.
On the other hand RAM prices may fall between now and then so you will have to include that in your plans.

Dibbley247

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
another kit of 2 x 8gb would match what i have now, so there wouldn't be any compatibility issues, or so that's what i believe? What would cause problems with 4 sticks? 2 x 16gb sounds like it's the way to go anyway if i needed to, and recover some money back selling my current 2 x 8gb sticks.

I primarily game, but will be using photoshop and making videos again at some point, so if my Ram was starting to bottleneck, then i'd like to know which would be the better option.

Even buying exactly the same 2x8gb kit and trying to run it with your current 2x8gb can have issues. RAM should be bought as a complete matched kit to avoid issues, RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason.

I’d also say 16gb is more than enough but if you want 32gb and have the budget then why not.

Ignore the quad channel point above. No socket 1151 cpu’s support quad channel.

Solution

Just because the sticks of RAM match the make and model number of your first 2 sticks does not guarantee compatibility. That is only possible if you buy sticks as a kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.