2 pin and molex pwr led

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I'm building my computer and I'm confused about the power led leads. I connected all the leads to the correct f_panel pins on the mobo (including -p led and +p led), but there's a molex connector labled "pwr led" from the front panel. My psu has 3 female molex connectors also. What am I supposed to do with the pwr led molex? Just leave it?

Solution
The pwr led wires go from the front panel power led to the motherboard front panel switch array which will also contain the pwr, reset, and hdd led pins.

Molex to me means the fat white 4 pin lead which is abouut an inch wide, either from the psu, or to a peripheral such as a fan, or some older hard drives.

In general, you do not need any led connectors at all. If there is a led that does not light up when you think it should, then that is the one you are missing.

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Also, the two fans that came with the case each have a female and male molex in addition to a 3 pin connector.

For the front panel of a case, you will usually have two led wire pairs. One for the hard drive activity, and the other for the power on state light. One should be labeled PWR LED and the other HDD LED. When you connect them up, the +/- polarity matters. If you get them backward, the led will not light, but no harm is done. Just reverse them.

Fans often come with two different connectors. A 4 pin molex connector, and a 3 pin smaller motherboard fan connector. You can use either, but only one at a time.
If you use the 4 pin molex connector, the fan will run at full speed all the time. If you plug the three pin into the motherboard, the fan speed can be monitored and controlled y software such as speedfan.

The purpose of both a female and male connector on the fan is so you can daisy chain them to a single molex power lead from the psu.

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

The pwr led wires go from the front panel power led to the motherboard front panel switch array which will also contain the pwr, reset, and hdd led pins.

Molex to me means the fat white 4 pin lead which is abouut an inch wide, either from the psu, or to a peripheral such as a fan, or some older hard drives.

In general, you do not need any led connectors at all. If there is a led that does not light up when you think it should, then that is the one you are missing.

Solution

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Ok, thanks! I think we're talking about the same thing, only mine are black.

When I turned it on, it came on but turned off after a second, turned back on, then off, etc. I'm going to start a new thread for that now.

Thanks!
--Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.