Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2021
I've had my computer for a while now, and while there was no major problems, it has been pretty slow. I figured it was probably something with my ram and there was two major issues. Firstly, my ram is only running at 2133, and secondly, 8.1 gb of my 16 gb ram is reserved for hardware. Stuck with only 7.9 gb of ram running at 2133, its been a nightmare tabbing out of things and its painfully laggy just having a few applications open.

For the hardware reserved issue, I didn't really look into it that much, but I'd appreciate some help. I read a few posts about the issue and most of them were fixed because the ram was in the wrong slot, however, my ram are in the correct spots being in the DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 position but the same issue persists.

For the ram speed issue, I tried alot of fixes in different threads, and none of them seem to have done anything. I first just tried turning xmp profile 2 on without doing anything, and it didn't change the speed. Then, I manually changed the ram speed to the same speed on xmp instead of having auto, but it still didn't work. Because my computer always shuts down, turn on for 2 seconds, shut down again, and then boots up after I change the ram, I thought it was a problem with the dram voltage too low and causing the profile unable to be loaded. I changed my dram voltage up to 1.45 but it didn't change anything and i tried a slightly lower voltage of 1.4 but it didn't do anything either. At this point, I was pretty desperate and I read that you could reset cmos. I pressed the reset cmos button on my mother board and the cmos resetted, however, after the reset, the ram is still stuck no matter what I do. Then I thought maybe the xmp profile speed was too high so I did low intervals going from 2133 to 2400, still, no luck. I feel like i've done everything but nothing works, so please help.

My specs are:
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2X 8 GB) (Dual Channel Kit) 3000MHz DDR4
X470 GAMING PLUS
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080

Solution
You could try reseating the RAM. That has been my issue whenever Windows reports half the RAM. You want to hear a click.

A CMOS reset just puts every value to defaults. Usually RAM has 2 XMP presets. Does yours have it? Ryzen 2600 can happilly run 3000 Mhz RAM. Have you updated the motherboard BIOS? When you buy em, you don't know how long it's been sitting in transport and shop shelves. Usually old BIOS on there. Worth a try. Could be mainly the first problem you have, only half of the RAM reported and that then prevents, I don't know, memory training?

I have a first gen Ryzen (1700) and that runs 3000 Mhz RAM happily. So it's an issue on your end, for sure.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You could try reseating the RAM. That has been my issue whenever Windows reports half the RAM. You want to hear a click.

A CMOS reset just puts every value to defaults. Usually RAM has 2 XMP presets. Does yours have it? Ryzen 2600 can happilly run 3000 Mhz RAM. Have you updated the motherboard BIOS? When you buy em, you don't know how long it's been sitting in transport and shop shelves. Usually old BIOS on there. Worth a try. Could be mainly the first problem you have, only half of the RAM reported and that then prevents, I don't know, memory training?

I have a first gen Ryzen (1700) and that runs 3000 Mhz RAM happily. So it's an issue on your end, for sure.

Solution
Jun 25, 2021

Thank you for your reply! I do have another xmp preset, but both profiles don't work. My bios is the second newest one but the newest one is only beta, so I figured I shouldn't mess with something thats beta. I'll try reseating the ram but I don't think thats the problem because my computer is technically reporting all 16 gb ram, just that half is reserved

Status
Not open for further replies.