2 questions

some-guy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
i have two questions that might seem a little dumb

1. How do you remove the casing off of a EVGA nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition? I think it should be pretty easy but i don't want to break anything.

2. My PSU offers 30A on one 12V rail. Is that enough to run the card? I've heard that the GTX 260 doesn't actually use 36A on a 12V rail but I'm worried that my PSU will degrade over time and not be able to supply enough power for the video card.

Thanks in advance

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
you mean this gtx260-216?

imageview.php

the cooler in this card is designed that way to properly guide the hot air out of your chassis (through the back in this case). remove the casing on this card would just spread all the hot air inside your chassis. and no, thats not an increase in ventilation.

1) The casing and cooler is one of the best types. It sends the hot vga air directly out the back of the case. Otherwise it would recirculate and heat up both the card and the cpu.

2) Here is a link to the EVGA requirements:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=896-P3-1257-AR&family=Geforce 200 Series Family
500watts, 36a, and two 6 pin pci-e dongles.

Your PSU might work particularly if it is a quality brand. But, if you have strange problems while 3d gaming, then be prepared to change it out before you call EVGA support.

Try it and see how you do.