2 routers, dynamic routing: how to set up port forwarding?

pszalapski

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I'm trying to figure this out: I have Qwest DSL and a single-port Qwest-supplied DSL Actiontec modem; behind that, I have a Belkin wireless router/hub, which 2 PCs plug into. The internet connection works great on both PCs. However, I'd like to set up a web server on the PC at 192.168.1.101:80, so where and how do I set up port forwarding? I see the port forwarding, but I don't know how to make the jumps or if something special needs to be there. I also don't understand what dynamic routing is, but nothing works unless it is on. Any help would be appreciated.

Actiontec DSL modem/router:
LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Dynamic routing type A
Port forwarding: ????

Belkin wireless router/hub:
Firewall off
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Wan IP 192.168.0.3
Default gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS Address 192.168.0.1
LAN IP address 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Port forwarding: ????

PC 1: 192.168.1.101 (static)
PC 2: 192.168.1.102 (static)

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
First, alot of ISP block port 80 to prevent users from running servers. Most leave port 21 for ftp accees.

I don't know how reliable the belkin will be, not a good track record.

To setup a port forward. You tell it what service HTTP (port 80) will be running. Then you direct it to the server IP Address. I recomend that you use address mapping to assing the same IP to the server or static IP. Then you will need to use a DynDNS service if your ISP uses DHCP.

The way it works is all trafic that goes to port 80 will be directed to your internal Server.

pszalapski

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Right, I understand all that--I had my Belkin set up previously and it worked well with port forwarding.

My question is: which router needs the port forwarding set up? The outer Actiontec router? The inner Belkin router? Both? Do I need special settings on the Belkin to let it the Actiontec forward port 80 through the Belkin? Does it need to go in two hops?

Thanks for the thoughts,

P-Sz

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
It needs to be on the Actiontec, that the one that see all of the traffic. I would connect the server to the actiontec, port forward to it. Thay way your other hardware will not be exposed to all of the bad stuff that it will attract. conncet your belkin to the actiontec, work through a double firewall. Unless you have it setup to work as a switch, NO NAT.

rcr1991

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
hi,

did you ever get this sorted out? i have a similar setup. yesterday i saw someone mention that they disabled their actiontec and let the 2nd router handle all the firewall, port management etc. it sounds really appealing, but i cannot find details on how to do that. the idea is to get it so the 2nd router is managing your network to make admin a lot simpler.

curious what you finally did?

Rob

pszalapski

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
It needs to be on the Actiontec, that the one that see all of the traffic. I would connect the server to the actiontec, port forward to it. Thay way your other hardware will not be exposed to all of the bad stuff that it will attract. conncet your belkin to the actiontec, work through a double firewall. Unless you have it setup to work as a switch, NO NAT.

Thanks Blue, but the Actiontec router has only one ethernet port, so therefore I do have to plug both computers into the Belkin. Any ideas?

Maybe a better question is, in this scenario, how do I set up my Belkin router? Do I somehow need to turn off all routing and just use it as a switch? How do I do this? Can I still use the wireless functions on it?

Here's a screenshot of the settings now. [/img]
mybelkinsettings.gif

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Connect the Actiontec modem to the WAN port of the Belkin.

Then do a port forward for http (port 80) for your server IP address, with the belkin router.

Some where in your belkin setup make your Server can be mapped to a IP Address. This is like a Static, but is DHCP, with a static IP. It uses the MAC address of the nic card to assign IP.

schweermo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Okay guys, I could use some help too. I need to get it set up to forward to my port 80, I checked with my ISP, they don't block port 80, what's next?

2rcbas0.jpg

thats what I see, now what?

~Brendon

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Look under your security section. You should find a section for firewall rules. There you will add a inbound rule for HTTP (port 80) and point it to your IP address for your server.

schweermo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Look under your security section. You should find a section for firewall rules. There you will add a inbound rule for HTTP (port 80) and point it to your IP address for your server.

Okay.
which link, on the side, do I need to click?

::EDIT::

Okay, I think I got the ports forwarded, but now I need to know where to find my DNS's fro my server, or, basically, how people can view the page on my server.

schweermo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
okay, under firewall, I have the follownig options.

Virtual Servers
Client IP Filters
MAC Address Filtering
DMZ
DDNS
WAN Ping Blocking
Security Log

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
Okay, then just type in what it is, the ports and wht ip fo roforward it from....like 192.168.2.6

but then why doesnt this work?
http://68.224.160.16
???

so since you have the double NAT going on... you wanna forward port 80 or whatever to the 2nd router

so 1st router

port 80 >192.168.0.3 *(WAN ADDRESS OF BELKIN)

then on the Belkin forward port 80 to the LAN address of the server

port 80 > 192.168.1.101 (Servers LAN address on Belkin)

changing teh topic slightly why are you doing it this way? why not just set the belkin up as AP rather than double NAT? ie. hook belkin up to the Actiontec on one of its LAN ports rather than WAN.

your welcome to keep the set up as it is...but it is going to be a pain every time you need to forward a port for a server or a game or whatnot.

schweermo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Okay, then just type in what it is, the ports and wht ip fo roforward it from....like 192.168.2.6

but then why doesnt this work?
http://68.224.160.16
???

so since you have the double NAT going on... you wanna forward port 80 or whatever to the 2nd router

so 1st router

port 80 >192.168.0.3 *(WAN ADDRESS OF BELKIN)

then on the Belkin forward port 80 to the LAN address of the server

port 80 > 192.168.1.101 (Servers LAN address on Belkin)

changing teh topic slightly why are you doing it this way? why not just set the belkin up as AP rather than double NAT? ie. hook belkin up to the Actiontec on one of its LAN ports rather than WAN.

your welcome to keep the set up as it is...but it is going to be a pain every time you need to forward a port for a server or a game or whatnot.

I dont have 2 routers, that's the other dude.

semloh99

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I have rarely had any success in port forwarding through 2 routers to a host server. I work in the Embarq (formerly Sprint) service area and have found that their 645 and 660 series router/bridge/modem devices will not port forward to another router and then have that router forward to the server.

The options I use are

1. Use an ethernet switch behind the DSL Router and then port forward the DSL Router to the server. With the 645 series of routers this is fairly straight forward. or

2. If a non-DSL router is already in place, use the existing non-DSL router as a switch by turning off DHCP and letting the DSL router control the network as in 1 above.

Alternatively you can turn the DSL Router into a bridge and let another router control the network. For the 642 series, it is not for the feint of heart (requires you Telnet into the modem and change numerous settings.) The newer 660 series DSL routers have a "Bridge Modem" button in the http interface. In all cases you need to check with the ISP to make sure that the DSL line is properly provisioned to support this type of connection.