salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Hi,

I have an Gainward 8600GT 1GB as main vga hooked up to a vga monitor. I had installed a 2nd Nvidia GT210 card to drive a second vga monitor. I wanted this just for work purposes and was using the 2nd monitor as extended desktop on a Windows 7 x64 pc built on a Foxconn P35AX-S mobo with Intel Core-2 Duo cpu. The second card gave me problems of overheating and even some BSOD's with NVLDDMKM.sys errors.

This card was replaced under warranty with a similar GeForce GT210 from EVGA but this proved totally un-compatible for some reason and I could not get my system to run. HWMonitor reported temepratures of over 100 for the second card although it was not that hot to the touch. This card has since been sent to the shop for checking.

My question is: Can I mix two different GPU's from the same manufacturer for extended desktop purposes and both use the same driver? If not, would I be better off to install and ATI as a second card? All information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

larkspur

Distinguished

Doesn't your video card have a VGA and a DVI-I output? Can't you plug both VGA monitors into the Gainward using one of these on the DVI-I port: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201

If your 8600gt can't do two monitors then just dump the 8600gt and use one of these with one of the adapters I linked above): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338

larkspur

Distinguished
Also - Since you seem to be having some kind of heat problems with the additional cards you've been adding - make sure your case has good airflow - confirm your fans are spinning and blow out any dust especially from the heatsinks. You shouldn't need to add a 2nd GPU just to add a 2nd monitor.

salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

The problem is my 8600GT has two DVI ports but only one supports a VGA monitor (DVI-I). Both my monitors are VGA and that's why I had to opt for a 2nd card.

My case is a Coolermaster Centurion 5 II and all available fan outlets are occupied by 14cm fans. The case also has a 14cm fan at the front. In total I have 3 intaking fans and two exhaust. The power supply is mounted at the bottom and its fan intakes from the bottom to exhaust at the back. The case is on a shelf around 14 inches off the floor. The heat problem in my opinion is due to the second card acting funny with the first card.

Thanks.

salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

A more formal reply would have been much more appreciated. I don't consider myself a newbie. I just have a problem and asked a question.

salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

I'm already using one of these on the 8600GT's DVI-I port. The other port is just DVI-D

larkspur

Distinguished

I have read of people that have used both an NVIDIA and AMD card in the same system but I'm pretty sure they weren't using the same driver. But I've never bothered with it so maybe someone else can help you with that.

When I looked up Gainward's 8600gt 1gb offerings, the only card I saw had a VGA (D-sub) connector and a DVI-I connector. I guess you have a different card then what I saw, sorry.

You mentioned this is just for desktop/work purposes? Unless you actually need to have both types in your system, it would be much easier to just remove the 8600gt and replace it with an inexpensive card that can output to two VGA monitors.

This EVGA Nvidia 210 will run two VGA monitors (it has a VGA connector and a DVI-I port): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130586

Or this Radeon 5450 will do it too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338

NickOC

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Currently I'm running 2x SLI 570X cards and a 8400GS in extended desktop mode (the 8400GS drives a third monitor). Works perfectly for me so I don't think you should have any issues. Not sure if you have though of this but if your motherboard has integrated graphics that could also be an option to drive another monitor.

salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

No. The mobo does not have onboard graphics.

salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

I could kick myself for not thinking of this. I actually thought that a card with having both a DVI and VGA ports will not drive two VGA monitors as the DVI would be only -D. Will definitely look for that option. Thanks again. That would also mean, one driver for one card. Less problems overall.

Thanks.

salvuwerwer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

My Gainward (which I cannot find on the website anymore) has two DVI ports and an S-VHS port. It does not have an HDMI port. When I bought it HDMI was not a hot item :)