2 vs 4 Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I don't plan on this being up long;
I've looked around online and here on the forum but still need a more positive answer on it.

I just made a new build with 2x8 sticks. I'm thinking of going to 32gb but unsure if I should upgrade the two slots to 16s or add in another 2x8gb. I use LED sticks so I do wanna fill in all the slots for aesthetic reasons but if it's better to keep down to two, I'll do that.

I generally use this system to game and storage with occasional streaming so I am aware that 32 is slightly overkill but I use RAMdisk and want to be sure while I use that to spare my SSD, I still have plenty of RAM left over.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance
SSD/HDD: 120GB SSD / 3TB HDD
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 (Twin Frozr VI)
Mobo: MSI B350M Mortar Arctic

Solution
On dual channel motherboard 2 ram modules give the best performance.
Going to 4 modules requires Command Rate increase from 1T to 2T and that causes slight performance hit.
Not that it would be very noticeable, but it's there.
Also in some cases going from 2 to 4 ram modules will require to change some other ram performance settings (increase timings, lower frequency, increase voltage, etc.).
On dual channel motherboard 2 ram modules give the best performance.
Going to 4 modules requires Command Rate increase from 1T to 2T and that causes slight performance hit.
Not that it would be very noticeable, but it's there.
Also in some cases going from 2 to 4 ram modules will require to change some other ram performance settings (increase timings, lower frequency, increase voltage, etc.).

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
The memory controller on both Intel and AMD is on the CPU so if you have to increase voltage to get stable RAM, you are also introducing more heat on CPU.

What would you use the Ramdisk for? Not like a game will fit on it. And swapfile/pagefile shouldn't be on SSD to begin with. And pagefile is barely even needed these days.

Unless you are running an online database server on your SSD, it should last for 10+ years.
They are rated for something like 1000 Terabytes of writes.

Adding two sticks is not guaranteed to work.
And, ryzen seems to be very picky about ram.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when 4 sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
It is safer to get what you need in one kit.

A 2 stick 2 x 16gb replacement would be the logical choice.
But, if, for aesthetic reasons you want 4 sticks in there, buy a matched 4 x 8gb kit(or a 4 x 16gbkit)
Check the ram vendor selection app to verify that whatever you buy is supported on your motherboard.
You want official support if you have a problem.

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

So in the scenario of adding more memory, I would just need to figure out what settings to adjust?

Well I'd be buying the same ones as these (still in stock on newegg, for now) so timing I wouldn't be too worried about. I've done this before on my last build with no issue.

Memory in question: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236133

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

I don't have any swap/pagefiles on it, no. But there's still data that will be written on it and the RAM disk incorporated itself with it despite me moving it to the HDD. I'm just looking to increase memory space overall, espeically with any temp or idle data that I can try and keep from being rewritten constantly on either drives.

You will not ever be buying the same ram.
There are enough subtle difference with every stick, even within the same lot number that they may not work together.

The only safe way to buy ram is in a complete kit.

What is your plan "B" if you buy a second 2 x 8gb and it is not compatible??

You could buy a 2 x 16gb kit that is compatible.
Then try adding your old 2 x 8gb kit and see if it works.
If it does, you will now have 48gb.
If it does not. your old ram will still look pretty in the other slots assuming the motherboard will tolerate having them installed.

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
If there's always a subtle difference, why would buying them in a kit be different? I'm honestly asking that cause I don't know.

But in the end, I suppose my biggest concern outside of same-kit or individual memory, is if the performance from 2 to 4 sticks is really much of an issue, especially for my use.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Because the manufacturer has tested the sticks within a kit together, and guarantees they should be able to work together at the rated speed/timings.

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

Ahhh, that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.