Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I was just wondering, is it possible to install 2 versions of XP Pro on one hard drive? This is because i have 2 versions of XP Pro, one in English and one in another language, so i was wondering if it would work.
Also if it is possible, do i make separate partitions for each OS? If someone knows any good sites which is about this topic or has good tutorials of what i'm trying to do, then i really appreciate it if you give me the links, thx.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Real easy. I'm hoping you have SP2 versions, or at least on the English one? (I'm assuming that one to be your first install?)

Run the XP install that you consider to be your Primary bootup operating system. The one you will use the most.

When you get to the screen where you can Partition - choose that action. The install will then ask you what size do you want to make it. Now, the install will always put in the full size of the hard drive. You will change that to one half of the full size. Then proceed with the install. Do not boot to the cd after restarts.

Get that one completely set up & working perfectly with activation, updates, anti-virus, etc. When you're totally happy about the first XP, pop in the other XP and reboot.

Watch for the prompt to boot from the cd - do this. After it loads up files, you will hit Enter to install Windows and eventually get to the Partition screen again, where you will choose the free space, that you left over from the first install, to put the next version on.

After you're done with the second install, every time you boot up, you will be given a choice of the two XP's to boot to.

Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for reply! I'll try you method out when i have time, cause it usually takes like 3hrs to install a new windows right? Also do you know how big XP is? This is because i've actually got the English XP Pro SP2 already installed and working good, so i was just curious to see if you can install 2.
Looks like all i have to do is follow your 2nd to last paragraph onwards, thanks man!
And with
Do not boot to the cd after restarts.
what do you mean by that? Thxs.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Takes about an hour. But, do you have half your hard drive available as free, unpartitioned space? (Not part of your "C" drive)

There are two restarts during install - let the hard drive boot up - not the cd in the rom drive.

Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
No, i don't exactly have half. The guy who partitioned my hard drive left C:\ with more space and made the D:\ partition with only 7 point something GB. My english version of XP Pro is currently in C:\ and i checked it and its only taking up like 3.82GB, so the second XP should fit in D:\ right?? or do u have to have exactly half free space on each partition for it to work?
Sorry i havent actually formatted my comp with windows CD before so i dont know much about it.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
The French XP will install. But that 7g will last you about a month or so before the "D" drive will start bogging down.

No, you don't need exactly half - only close to it.

Can you get or borrow Partition Magic and use it to reclaim space from "C" and give it to D?

Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Well you see...i wanted to test this on an old computer, so the C:\ is only like 11. something GB, while D:\ is 7. something, thats close enough to half right?
Also the partitions don't have much, if at all any data on it, its a comp i barely use, only for test purposes like this.

7g will last you about a month or so before the "D" drive will start bogging down.
By that you mean i will run out of space right? Well like i say, i dont put anything on this comp so its fine, unless you mean something else?

Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hehe thanks and sry i should have mentioned the capacity early. I'll start the install in a couple days when i have time, and i'll tell you how it goes or if i get any problems. Thx again.