Question 2 x AMD RTX 580 graphics cards installed but only one of them working?

kaptchakat

Prominent
Dec 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I just bought a second RTX 580 and installed it. The original RTX 580 is working fine, but this new one will not display when I plug in a monitor. I've tried plugging the monitor into the display ports and HDMI, but it always says it doesn't detect a signal. I checked my Radeon Settings app and it shows both cards, one set as primary and the other discrete. Device manager also shows both graphics cards under display adapters. I checked for updated drivers and installed those. I enabled Above 4g decoding (as I was going to try setting up CrossFireX after I get these monitors running). My BIOS shows Initial Display Output as PCIe Slot 1 (which is where the first GPU is). My goal is to set up six monitors and since each card only supported three, I bought a second card.

Mother board: B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
Graphics cards: XFX RTX 580
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: DDR4 16 GB

I appreciate any help with this!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You're going to need at least 800W of power from your PSU, add a little more if you're overclocking on the GPU and CPU. Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You might want to also try and use DDU to rid your current GPU drivers and then reinstall them with the latest off of AMD's support site.

Another thing, who told you that each card supports a max of three displays?
https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/amd-radeon-tm-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-4
^ as an example...

You're going to need an MST hub but chat up with XFX support to confirm that point.

Last edited:

kaptchakat

Prominent
Dec 23, 2018
Hey @Lutfij,
I just completed the DDU and ensured I had the latest drivers. I don't anticipate overclocking very often. I believe CrossFireX mode can only support the monitors directly connected to the main GPU anyways. I can live with that, but the extra monitor space for regular use would be great.

PSU: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=120-g2-1300-xr
Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

I'm about to upgrade to an EVGA 1300W G2 PSU. I was considering buying used since I already have a 750W EVGA PSU and found a couple used versions of the 1300W model that are just missing cables.
My BIOS is only on version F2. They're up to F51, only 10 versions in between here and there though. I read how to update the BIOS and all the potential ways I could jack that up so was hoping I could get away with not doing that. Perhaps I should take the risk and do that though since there seem to be security patches in some of the newer versions.
I had heard of the MST hub, but was thinking there may be a lag in performance say, for example, if I got one of those and hooked up six monitors and only had 1 graphics card. If that's not the case, I may just go with that and return the second card. How bad could the lag become, if at all? The programs I run do need to be able to display in as close to real time as possible.

Thanks for picking up my question! I'll try and find a couple questions I can answer on here to give back even though everyone here seems way more knowledgeable about the hardware stuff.