Question 2070 Super not getting the performance expected.

Dec 15, 2022
Hello,

I've had this PC build for over 3 years and I've never really gotten the performance I was expecting with the build. I've seen others with a similar setup get much better results. I'm not really PC savvy, so I haven't really been able to figure out how to fix it or what exactly the issue is.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI 2070 Super
RAM: 32GB

In Warzone for example the old one and the new one I can't even get above 100FPS in 1920x1080p and sometimes the performance dips all the way down into the 50-60s(I could go back to console if I wanted that). It's really this way across other games. I have a friend who has a similar setup and gets 120-130FPS in warzone.

How can I solve what's causing this subpar performance?

Dec 15, 2022
brand and model of the psu?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
what the ram speed?
how full is the ssd?

cpu/gpu temps usually in the mid 50s low 60s? Never seen it higher then about 64 on either.
PSU is Seasonic FOCUS px 750 platinum
I'm not sure on the RAM speed? How do I check that?
This is the storage I have.
Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7S250B/AM)
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)
Return and product support eligibility

The NVME - has about 54 GBs left but I don't have games on it.
The SSD which the games are on is has 288 GB free.

MOBO is X570 GAMING X

Dec 15, 2022
Check the PCI-E link speed using GPU-Z:
View: https://imgur.com/bhQac9c

You have 32 GB of RAM, is that 2 DIMM's? If so is it installed in slots 2 and 4?

You can check the RAM speed with CPU-Z, it's shown on the memory tab under 'DRAM Frequency'.
Not sure what CPU-Z is.

This is the RAM I have
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W
I'm not sure if they're in the 2 and 4? Are they supposed to be in the 2 and 4? Does slot 1 start on the right side of the board or the left side? - Not PC savvy.

Not sure what CPU-Z is.
It's an app that can tell you about the specs of your CPU:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
You can download the Zip English version. Unzip it and run it as administrator.

GPU-Z is a similar thing:

This is the RAM I have
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W
I'm not sure if they're in the 2 and 4? Are they supposed to be in the 2 and 4? Does slot 1 start on the right side of the board or the left side? - Not PC savvy.
It starts from left to right, the first two slots are channel 1 and the next two slots are channel 2. You populate the second slot of each channel first, so that's slots 2 and 4. If you only populate slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 you will not get dual channel. That would impact frame rates, particularly your minimum frame rates.

Dec 15, 2022
It's an app that can tell you about the specs of your CPU:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
You can download the Zip English version. Unzip it and run it as administrator.

GPU-Z is a similar thing:

It starts from left to right, the first two slots are channel 1 and the next two slots are channel 2. You populate the second slot of each channel first, so that's slots 2 and 4. If you only populate slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 you will not get dual channel. That would impact frame rates, particularly your minimum frame rates.
Soooooo these are in the wrong slots????

View: https://imgur.com/Finau6v

Dec 15, 2022
XMP is still not enabled. Are you on latest BIOS?

Also, what chipset driver are you on?

I just installed the chipset drivers from AMD website, there was like 6 of them. I have never done that before.

However, why do you say that the xmp profile isn't enabled? I enabled it in the BIOS? Do I need to update the BIOS? How do I do that?

I actually seen a miniscule decrease in my benchmark score after changing them...
It was never going to fix your problem because you can run them either way round and you were already running in dual channel. It's just recommended you populate A2 (2nd slot) and B2 (4th slot) first:
"For optimum performance, when enabling
Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_A2
and DDR4_B2 sockets."
The above is from the motherboard manual, this is the norm with other motherboards as well. Why your scores are slightly lower I don't know, it could be just coincidence as there will always be slight variation between benchmark runs.

I would check GPU-Z next as that's just a quick one to rule out.