Question 2070 super - worth upgrading monitor to 1080 high refresh?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Good afternoon all

Looking for a little bit of advice regarding my brothers computer and whether a monitor upgrade to a higher 120+ refresh rate would be worth it. I am struggling with whether investing in another 1080p monitor in 2024 would be worth it and so I am looking for some opinions on what others would potentially do in this situation.

The specs are :

Cpu : 5700x
MB : Asus TUF B550 gaming plus WiFi
RAM : Corsair Dominator 3200 c16 32 GB (2x16)
GPU : Msi 2070 super ventus 2x
PSU : Corsair RMX750
Monitor : Iilyama 24" 75hz TN Black Eagle

As a little background info my brother knows nothing about computers really and I put him together his first computer a few years back and have been making incremental updates to keep the system relevant but earlier this year I gave him my old 2070 super as an upgrade to the previous 1070 ti that I put in originally. This was a decent boost for him and at 1080p the 2070S is still a decent card and I only upgraded as I wanted a little more performance after 3 years of good service from the card.

He recently came over to my house and ended up playing some games - primarily warzone as he plays this more than anything but does also play a number of newer games with Helldivers 2 and Hogwarts Legacy being a couple of examples - and he found that playing at a higher refresh rate in warzone was a much better experience. He was also impressed by the considerably better colours and image. I am using 27" 1440p IPS LG ultragear 165hz monitors. As a consequence he has been asking me on whether going to a higher refresh rate 1080p monitor would be worth the investment.

Prices for high refresh 1080p IPS monitors are quite good now with some decent 24" options in the £130 - £150 range but would people go down this route at this stage?

He has recently got married and so money is at a premium and so rather than tie myself in knots I thought I would ask the community their thoughts.

A 1440p monitor could be considered if people think this is an option and I am willing to chuck a bit of money at it to help him out if required. My main reasons for not recommending this is the 8gb vram buffer but the offset of higher resolution against lower settings could work. This would give him better options for the future and he would likely still be able to get 120+ frames in warzone with the right settings.

I would be hoping to at least get another 2 years put of the 2070S if possible.

Any thoughts on the approach they would take would be appreciated in taking the next steps. If there is something I haven't mentioned or thought please let me know.

Thanks

am struggling with whether investing in another 1080p monitor in 2024 would be worth it
i would say no.
but, I gave up on 1080p gaming ~10 years ago and moved on to 1440p when the GTX 10 series was released.

the size of the display will also make a big difference in what resolution you should choose.
with 16:9 aspect ratio i would say anything >/=27" you should definitely consider 1440p or higher.
32" even, I would start considering 4K.

my 34" 21:9 ultrawide @ 1440p is perfect for me for now, but am always considering moving up to a 39" 32:9 super-ultrawide.

High refresh rate is good for desktop usage and gaming and 1080p 144+Hz are cheap these days. Unless the budget is very restricted, I don't see any reason not to get a faster display even if it's 1080p. I suggest not getting anything above 24".

The 2070 Super, which is slightly above 3060 performance, should be capable of 120+FPS in a lot of games on lower settings 1080p or even higher on esports titles like Overwatch 2 or Counterstrike 2.