Jul 30, 2021
I had an earlier thread which did not get response and things have now got worse so I hope a new thread is appropriate?

I have recently changed my Gigabyte RTX2070 to a Gigabyte RTX2080ti OC which was second hand from a friend who had no issues with it and I had no issues with my 2070.

The 2080ti was added and PSU upgraded to a new 850w good quality model. The 2080ti ran 3DMark Timespy without issue but crashed in most games, either after 5-10 minutes or straight away. I got this to work fine by running Afterburner and limiting power and temps to 95% and 81 deg C. Then after a week it started crashing games again. After viewing some youtube videos which suggested Vram clocks as an issue I underclocked the Vram by 500mhz and tried again.

Timespy crashed to desk top, then XD artifacts covered the screen and the PC crashed. after restart the windows repair process started and the PC would not successfully boot. It either crashed during windows loading with artifacts or got to desktop then artifacted and crashed or the PC will seems to boot but with no monitor output (I get A0 code on mobo) but no screen. It will run in safe mode so I stopped Afterburner starting on windows boot but still no joy.

I am now running the 2070 again, no issues.

Is this card dead or is their things I can try?

Solution
all your GPUs seems to be dying, RTX2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080ti
what is your PSU? good quality unit is not an answer
here you can check psu quality:
all your GPUs seems to be dying, RTX2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080ti
what is your PSU? good quality unit is not an answer
here you can check psu quality:

Solution

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Try a fresh driver install: use ddu to remove, then reinstall drivers.

Reset afterburner settings, replace thermal paste and pads… test again in different pcie slots or a different pc to eliminate some variables.

if still not working, then gpu is dead. You might just be unlucky and it died coincidentally……. artifacts? Perhaps it was used for mining.

Jul 30, 2021
Try a fresh driver install: use ddu to remove, then reinstall drivers.

Reset afterburner settings, replace thermal paste and pads… test again in different pcie slots or a different pc to eliminate some variables.

if still not working, then gpu is dead. You might just be unlucky and it died coincidentally……. artifacts? Perhaps it was used for mining.
:rolleyes:Artifacts would be more archaeology than mining :ROFLMAO:. It was my friends who I game with. He used it for occasional gaming only. Its hardly been worked and has run at stock clocks all its life. It only needed a blow to get the light dust of the fan blades and I removed it from his case for him. It has been fine for him the whole time! Seems to be an issue with my system. he did have an older Alienware area 51 which I beelive was probably only 3rd gen PCI express. I think mine is 4th gen x16? Asus Maximus Hero X, Z370 chipset

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
:rolleyes:Artifacts would be more archaeology than mining :ROFLMAO:. It was my friends who I game with. He used it for occasional gaming only. Its hardly been worked and has run at stock clocks all its life. It only needed a blow to get the light dust of the fan blades and I removed it from his case for him. It has been fine for him the whole time! Seems to be an issue with my system. he did have an older Alienware area 51 which I beelive was probably only 3rd gen PCI express. I think mine is 4th gen x16? Asus Maximus Hero X, Z370 chipset

hahah, modern archaeology. Mining for digital gold, and getting some “artifacts” along the way.

Yeah, there is a chance the problem is with your system. Do try a fresh driver install first, then thermal paste and pads, then a different system as a last resort.

but sometimes, gpus really do fail for no reason at all…

Artifacts used to be associated with GPU VRAM failure/overheating. The PCIe gen version wouldn't cause this.

I hate to be the cynic here but is it possible that your 'friend' offloaded a card that he knew had issues? It really does sound like your card is dead/dying.

Jul 30, 2021
Artifacts used to be associated with GPU VRAM failure/overheating. The PCIe gen version wouldn't cause this.

I hate to be the cynic here but is it possible that your 'friend' offloaded a card that he knew had issues? It really does sound like your card is dead/dying.
Hi, no he was using this machine to game online with me for 2 years, no crashes or issues. The artifacts happened only after I underclocked the Vram to try and stop the crashes to desktop. I am 100% confident there was no issue with the card before he gave it to me (for free) after he decided to go down the 3080 route as he has bags of cash!!

Jul 30, 2021
Hi, its 2 separate leads. I had them both in the same group on the PSU and the CPU power on the other. I then tried splitting them between groups so had CPU and 1 8 pin on one and the other 8 pin on its own. Not sure if this makes any difference. Isnt a daisy chain a bit poor for feeding these 2 8 pin cards?

BTW total power draw was sub 420W even at heavy loads. When the card fails it drops to 80-90 watts. Seems quite low compare to what the advice is for PSU sizing??

Hi, its 2 separate leads. I had them both in the same group on the PSU and the CPU power on the other. I then tried splitting them between groups so had CPU and 1 8 pin on one and the other 8 pin on its own. Not sure if this makes any difference. Isnt a daisy chain a bit poor for feeding these 2 8 pin cards?

BTW total power draw was sub 420W even at heavy loads. When the card fails it drops to 80-90 watts. Seems quite low compare to what the advice is for PSU sizing??
I've had a strange instance where daisychaining the aux power actually fixed crashing for an RX 5700 XT. I can't explain why though.
Truthfully, your descriptions so far point to a failed card.