21 Consoles And Handhelds That Crashed And Burned

Status
Not open for further replies.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
[citation][nom]kryzzay[/nom]Hahha N-Gage that wasn't that bad I think. I knew quite a few people that had one.[/citation]

True facts, i had one for years, hek i still have it, but the battery's dead.
My first "smartphone" with serious multitasking.
I could listen to radio, have msn running, and play worms ONLINE simultaneusly

Well the drawback, everyone maked fun of me when i was on the phone =D

G

I would say the PSVITA is a bit of a troll - comparing the sales of a handheld that is essentially new vs. the 3DS which has been around now for at least 4 or 5 years now - however it seems to be a foregone conclusion that handheld consoles in general are dying and Sony is fighting a losing battle with this one. That said, the PSVITA really is a very, very nice handheld. I was quite impressed with the graphics and speed when I played with one but like most people I doubt I'd actually buy one.

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
What...no NUON? That's one of the biggest failures in gaming history (but one of the favorites in my collection). It's not strictly a console, but games were a major selling point. Jaguar was a decent system with some great games that rarely get mentioned, like Rayman or Power Drive Rally. The only real stinker in this list (from what I've owned) is the Game.com. It's OS would crash frequently and the games sucked. However, the final revision of this handheld was smaller and did feature a built-in LED light for the screen...FWIW.

retrophe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
LOL I still have my Atari 7800 and LYNX and they still work. The Lynx used to have an add on you could buy that used 6 D cells for longer playing time.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Surprised to not see the Sega Saturn or Dreamcast. Both got destroyed by their competetion in terms of sales and the Dreamcast took Sega out of the console business altogether. I'm a Sega fan and while I personally like both systems, even I have to admit they both failed.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
They both sold about 10 million apiece, which, whilst paling in comparison to the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 respectively, still makes for Sega's third and second best selling consoles... and it's not as if neither had any popular or notable games. However, had they made this a top 30, I think one of them would probably have been in there.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I wouldn't put PC Engine/TurboGrafx in there. It may not sell well in North America, but it was very popular in Asia, far from crashed and burned. The console is known for memorial shoot em up games like Gunhed, and lots games, including arcade ports were produced for the console.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

Now i would say those two did bad, but i believe the saturn did terrible, but the Dreamcast was by far superior to what the saturn was and honestly it was an amazing console. If Sega had waited a tad longer, it probably would of been better. Sega as a whole should of re-entered the console market.. There are quite a few titles i wish were remade or brought back from Sega's DC lineup onto this or next generation. But i don't think the dreamcast would make that list, saturn yes but not the dreamcast.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I'm surprised the Neo-Geo wasn't there, the home version, since it was essentially the same "console" in the arcade and at home, and thus VERY expensive for a home unit, yet extremely successful at arcades.

i'd always wondered what happened to gizmondo. thanks for the update. :)
ngage was annoying. nokia's idea was decent, but the small screen, the buttons....
psvita is a failure alright, it just hasn't matured into a failure yet. when tegra 4, krait-based snapdragon 800, samsungs new exynos and apple's new soc come out, it'll become even less relevant... unless sony pulls an hp. ;)

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Those sales number for the PS Vita jumped a considerable amount after a certain event in Japan in August/September. And with a few more games coming out for the platform, I suspect it's well over at LEAST 3 million global units at this point. Still though, Sony needs to stop charging such an insane amount for those damn memory cards. Especially after they decided to lock each card to a specific PSN account.

G

THE REAL REASON WHY VITA IS DONE : TOO MUCH HYPING, WAITING and BEGGING

beethree

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I have a PS Vita and I don't want it to fail. I find it a good handheld. Beautiful screen, and I play all of my old PS games I bought on the PSN on it. While the current selection of games I don't care so much for except LittleBig Planet I know that down the line it might pick up steam. A price drop and more games and the Vita can succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts