23-33" ish SQUARE TV as computer monitor exists?

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I looked at youtube examples but too may are unboxing or gaming videos instead of IE or windows explorer. I'm hoping if I get a big 23"+ monitor that the whole screen will be IE or explorer and thus be easier on the eyes with larger text etc vs my 19" now. But I saw some people open ms word or IE and it's as if they only take up half the screen on a widescreen monitor instead of expanded. Should I maybe get something more square like a tv screen vs a rectangle monitor.

I have like a $150 GPU Radeon H D7700 1GB and a high-end CPU etc.

I want full HD led or lcd, doesn't really matter to me (If it's a plasma TV connected to computer, I heard it can burn it out).

I need the monitor to have a stand, not a wall bracket or anything because I have my monitor sitting on my PC tower.

tanks.

IE, or MS Word, or whatever, do not know that this is 23" Monitor, all they know is that this is 1920 x 1080 pixels. I have no problems opening any of these full-screen on my monitor.

However, from practical point of view: 24" diagonal means that screen estate is close to 21" horizontal x 12" vertical. Readin a single line of text across 21" is very tedious, so probably that's the reason these videos have the IE take just half of the screen.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I read the bigger monitors are widescreen just because it's cheaper for manufacturers to use the same panels already cut for TVs. And that yes, most people would prefer a big square monitor for everything computing besides video.

I would like to just get a big square 25"-30" TV then, but I don't know if they even exist.

A 23" widescreen is only 1" taller than my current 19", so I think I'd rather just stick with this 19" than a 23" widescreen.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I guess im just going to get a big 32"ish used TV to get the large text etc I want for easier reading and to keep the monitor further from my eyes for safety. If it doesn't work out (have to scroll way to far on mouse pad or if cranking mouse sensitivity way up causes difficulty to do detailed things like highlight text or click X boxes), then I will just resell it.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
of course I just learn that tvs lag games vs monitor, even though I don't even have games now, I want to eventually, so maybe I'll get the tv for now and hopefully there'll be square monitors when I get games or maybe I'll need a tv and a monitor.

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Not entirely sure I understand why you're specifically looking for a "square" TV. I understand what you're asking, but not sure if you understand how monitors function. Instead I'll give you some info that may either help you make your decision, or help you research a little better.

The older television standard is a 4:3 aspect ratio with a general resolution of 640x480i (aka 480i). To improve quality, and meet more modern standards, manufacturers moved to 720p & 1080p resolutions. Most cameras for film & TV have already been shooting in widescreen formats for years. Because of the popular desire for widescreen viewing, this is now a standard.

For resolution, the smaller the monitor & higher the resolution, the crisper the picture. Resolution numbers are how many pixels are in the screen. If a show was recorded in 640x480 resolution, it will show as a small square in a 1920x1080 resolution. kind of like a 2x2 square in a 4x6 rectangle. You can make the image bigger, with the lower resolution, but the quality may not look as clear. It'd be like stretching that 2x2 square to 4x4 to fit on that 4x6 screen. With that in mind, the 4:3 aspect ration on a widescreen 16:9 screen would have black bars on the left & right, where the picture does not extend to.

What it sounds like you're trying to do is increase the font, text, or overall viewing size of various windows on a computer. If this is what you are looking to do, then you'll either want to change the screen viewing resolution (although this makes other media viewing problematic especially if the media has a higher resolution) or go into the settings and change the visual size of icons and text.

"Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Make text and other items larger or smaller"

From what I'm reading, I believe this is what you're looking to try and do.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
thank you^ but I changed already "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Make text and other items larger or smaller"

by just right clicking desktop. I made the text large which was great for things like word docs, but IE and tomshardware, ebay, etc is all still smaller, so I changed IE in the tool gear icon top right of IE and made zoom larger, but that just puts a scroll bar at the bottom of the page because it can't fit the whole page. I kept it like that and tried changing my overall resolution lower but it didn't help.