Question 2600 Overboost? I need some help here.

CPTBEEMO

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Specs:

X470F ROG Strix Mobo
R5 2600X CPU
16GB 3200mhz C16 Trident Z RAM
Asus RX5700XT GPU
850W PSU
280mm AiO cooler (Corsair)

Okay so here's the issue.

Whenever I turn on my PC, After all the launch at start programs are ready to go, I see a 4.0-4.1 Ghz clock on all cores at idle. If I open Ryzen Master, It has defaulted to Precision boost overdrive. If I switch the profile to any of the default game or creator profiles, apply and test, reboot, after launch it is back on precision boost overdrive. Power settings are set to ryzen balanced profile, Bios has no changes other then setting the RAM to 3200 mhz. I am lost here, I saw my PC ramp up to 5.0+ Ghz on HWMONITOR after a game of overwatch, all I want is for the chip to slow down at idle, and boost up when under heavy load and I do not know how to fix this. It did it when I built the machine and I only recently downloaded RM for the first time. I have tried as per the suggestions of other forums to clear my cmos, no change. I flashbacked to an older bios, no change. I uninstalled RM and reinstalled, no change. Temps have never exceeded 50 Celsius on the CPU.

Hope someone can help.

CPTBEEMO

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
There is no way your cpu was running at 5ghz. Could be a reporting bug.

Try clearing cmos
Just for the sake of argument, I cleared the cmos again. Bios now has everything running bone stock. multiplier on cores is 100mhz x 36. RAM is now at 2133. Opened RM and again I am defaulted on precision boost overdrive, all cores running between 4.0 and 4.2

CPTBEEMO

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
after seeing it set to auto in the Bios, I disabled it and it brought it back down to base clock, however it still wont idle down below base when not under load. reboot still shows RM is set to PBO.

I appreciate the help, NightHawk, But the point I am trying to make is that I want to have the peace of mind that the system I poured my hard earned money into does what I tell it to do. Not what it thinks it SHOULD do.

The other un-nerving aspect is that when I saw the 5.0+ spike, I was as curious as anyone would be, so I compared it to the HWinfo screen I had open, the RM graph I was reading, and they were all consistent with reading the spike. and it was not just a blip. it was consistently over 5.0 and I did not want it to do that, especially since I never even enabled PBO in the first place.