2GB RAM in XP Pro

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
You know, odd, as in Sharikou-ish

Sorry, couldnt resist.

First, let me correct myself, I meant 2GB or more, not MB

Remember the problems running more than 512 MB or 1GB RAM in Win98? The OS would try to dump everything to the ram, until it loaded it up. There was a registry workaround for it, limiting the Vcache to 524,288 KB or less.

I seem to be having a similar prob. I havent really tasked my E6600 yet as Ive been playing with the case for cooling.

The past few days Ive thrown a few games on, and tried recording some video, to look at the performance. After "X" amount of time, the system starts bogging, about an hour of video( just about 2GBworth) or a few missions of lock on. As time passes, the bogging increases in magnitude to the point where the system grinds to a halt. The symptoms strike me as very similar to the old win98 problem. It was my understanding that XP would handle up to 4 GB of ram though.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
E6600
OCZ OCZ2G8002GK 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (first time trying OCZ, understand it was the wrong choice)
Couple a WD SATA IIs
X1900

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yes, but that is almost normas HD swap. It genaraly happens to me when I am working on a large car branding image, say 500x200cm. The last time I did a horizontal flip, it took it ~11minutes, despite the 2GB of RAM and plenty of HD space. HD is not only slower to write to but also slower to be managed, especially when you get over the 3.2GB usually supported by the 32 bit XP.
If you really need a lot of RAM, I'd recommend a 64 bit version of WinXP; it virtually allocates at least 4G for each application you open (then it's up to the application, if it can use it or not.)

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
XP supports 4GB total (including virtual), so if you did upgrade to 4GB of physical RAM, XP will only detect and use 2.5 - 3GB of it.

If you want to safely use more than 2GB, then as m25 says, go to x64. (I use x64 on my media server to get around XP's 2T hard drive limit.)

As far as programs bogging down, there was some games that had problems with 2GB systems - Not sure but I think the original release of BF1942 was one of them - I would check for patches.

Also, as m25 says, your video may be bogging due to your IO. Not sure, though as with MCE - I can record a three-hour football game in 1080i-HD while watching another on an analog channel with F@H in the background while browsing the forums on a second monitor without bogging down - all on a 2GB 3.2GHz Northwood - so your problem may be with your video recording software as your system can take a severe dump on this one :(

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, but that is almost normas HD swap. It genaraly happens to me when I am working on a large car branding image, say 500x200cm. The last time I did a horizontal flip, it took it ~11minutes, despite the 2GB of RAM and plenty of HD space. HD is not only slower to write to but also slower to be managed, especially when you get over the 3.2GB usually supported by the 32 bit XP.
If you really need a lot of RAM, I'd recommend a 64 bit version of WinXP; it virtually allocates at least 4G for each application you open (then it's up to the application, if it can use it or not.)

Don't need more ram than I have now.

My older system, a 3200XP on a soyo KT880 with 1GB a ATI9800 and the WD SATA Is never experianced this prob, just ATI driver issues.
I had figured the x1900s had been out long enough for ATI to have the drivers at least remotely functional. Probably wrong
I'm not sure about the swaping. I havent benched it yet, but the drive to drive swap times are unbelievable. Swapping a 4GB mpg2 file from one drive to the other takes about 2/3 the time for the sata I drives.

As I said, the symptoms were very similar to the old 98 probs which is why I wondered about XP Pro. A fair amount of people seem to be running 2 or more gig of RAM nowadays, and I was looking for a lazy solution.

Mondoman

Splendid
I'm not sure about the swaping. I havent benched it yet, but the drive to drive swap times are unbelievable. Swapping a 4GB mpg2 file from one drive to the other takes about 2/3 the time for the sata I drives....
I think he was referring to a "swap file" or "swap space" (using space on the hard drive for virtual memory), not copying a file from drive to drive.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yes, it's totally different; @ work I can copy 300GB smooth as silk but when my 2G of RAM get filled and th pagefile use hits 1.1G I experience terrible slowdowns or even "Not enough memory" messages.