djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

I think it was a company manufacturing those floppies, as I remember having somes.

Never saw the 2.88mb ones, only 1.44 and LS-120 (and my super zip 100/250).

Brad

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
For curiosity sake I went to search for my stack of floppy, the SONY ones have 2HD written on them while the Verbatim disk has HD which I use for servicing the few rare XP computers around have. They both are 1.44MB and work fine in my floppy drive. *shrugs*

Floppies, quite a novelty item they've become. :lol:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Probably means double-sided, high density.
For IBM PC's, the first floppies were Double-Sided Double Density, capacity 360 KB. Those were all 5¼". Anyone remember specifying DSDD 5¼" floppies? (There had been a 5¼" Single-Sided Double Density format of 180 KB.) I remember at that time buying SSDD disks for the Commodore 64 system that held 160 KB. We'd then punch a notch in the opposite edge to allow us to turn them over and use the second side for an additional 160 KB and most of these diskettes were free enough of defects on the other side to work OK. We called them "flippy disks".

On PC's with the advent of the AT design, IBM introduced the DSHD (High Density) design of 5¼" floppy, 1.2MB capacity. With the PS/2 machine design they introduced the 3½" floppy, Double-Sided, High Density, capacity 1.44 MB. There also was a Single-Sided version of those at 720 KB capacity. But since "DSHD" has been used for 5¼" floppies, some of the new 3½" ones were labeled "2HD". These dominated the floppy formats for many years and are still the "standard"version of a disappearing technology.