Question 2nd monitor slowing down games when in fullscreen

Jul 1, 2019
im on windows 10 have a gtx1080 updated, my main monitor is 4k 60 fps and my 2nd montior is 1080 at 60, only has happened on minecraft and doom 2016, when i click on those games my 2nd starts to flash and game slows to single digits of fps, if io unplug the 2nd monitor the problem stops

duplicate mode

running task manager shows nothing since once i tab out of doom everything smooth out

the psu has handeled more gpu demanding games in the past and that wouldnt make sense for minecraft

i cant seem to find any reason, i will try more with task manager

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs including PSU.

Two monitors: Duplicate or Extend mode?

Run either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance while playing Minecraft then Doom with first one Monitor and then both monitors.

Look for some bottleneck that is created in the two monitor configuration.

My initial thought is that the PSU is not able to support the GPU's requirements when under a two monitor load.

Still the objective is to identify the problem in some objective, deliberate manner.

Jul 1, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs including PSU.

Two monitors: Duplicate or Extend mode?

Run either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance while playing Minecraft then Doom with first one Monitor and then both monitors.

Look for some bottleneck that is created in the two monitor configuration.

My initial thought is that the PSU is not able to support the GPU's requirements when under a two monitor load.

Still the objective is to identify the problem in some objective, deliberate manner.

very strange results
a. in borderless mode my monitor went black and doom ran fine but i couldnt alt tab or access my desktop at all, i was only able to play the game and clcik on the 2nd monitor black screen which brought up its desktop
b. windowed caused doom to run fine but the screen was black on my first monitor so i couldnt see the game, had to unplug the 2cd monitor and clt alt del to get the black screen to go away
c. task manager wont be visable anywhere since doom has to be open so not gonna work for 1st and the 2nd one is flickering or all black

Ralston18

Titan
Must be related to the "load" on the GPU.

Take another look at the GPU's supported display configurations.

And the following review appeared in one of my searches:

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080

Note the Concluding paragraphs if you do not wish to read the entire review.

If physical reasons (e.g., cables, power) are not the cause, nor configuration settings then it may simply be that the combination setup of GPU and dual/duplicate monitors is not workable without some performance trade-offs. I.e., slowdowns and flashing.

Take a closer look at both games' recommended and best hardware requirements.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Perhaps someone from the gaming community will be able to offer further insight and suggestions. I have no problem with that.