Question 2nd New HDD with SMART error, "Spin Retry Count" ?

Jan 4, 2022
So I got a 4tb HDD, it was fine for a day, then I turned on my PC to "SMART Failure detected" within 41 hours of operation, I contacted seagate after running Crystal Disk Info saying there was a spin retry count error, and the conclusion was that I had accidentally bought an OEM drive under the same branding, so should return and buy a real one. So I did. It arrives, I plug it in, all fine and dandy. Following day, I have the same thing. I plug it in my brothers PC, run CDI, and same error. Seagate says this is almost impossible and says run seatools. Short generic= Pass, Long generic=Pass, SMART=Fail, Short Drive Self Test=Fail. Seagate said that if the long generic is a pass then "scrub the drive and try again". The SATA cable I used was fine, tried my brothers as well. SATA power, it was a daisy chain cable already powering a few things, maybe this was the issue. I have no clue, do I return it again? Someone help pls. Thanks!
Specs:
ROG X570-F (bought used for Christmas, no issues thus far, unless this could be linked)
R9 5900x
Sapphire 6800xt
Corsair 32gb 3200mhz
Corsair HX1200

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's possible that you got the same drive off of a batch since they stated the prior drive was meant for an OEM. I'd return it if you were flagged by the SMART function, that thing is pretty much spot n and it's helped me proceed with an RMA faster than I'd have thought it take.

How old is the PSU in your build? You spoke of buying the board used, what board were you on prior to the X570 chipset? Also, if the board is different from the one you have prior(chipset was different) then you're advised to reinstall the OS.

Jan 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's possible that you got the same drive off of a batch since they stated the prior drive was meant for an OEM. I'd return it if you were flagged by the SMART function, that thing is pretty much spot n and it's helped me proceed with an RMA faster than I'd have thought it take.

How old is the PSU in your build? You spoke of buying the board used, what board were you on prior to the X570 chipset? Also, if the board is different from the one you have prior(chipset was different) then you're advised to reinstall the OS.
I really appreciate the response, the power supply isn’t that old, I bought it used off of eBay 2 years ago, but it runs the rest of my system drawing high loads smoothly. I was on a B450 Max, and haven’t installed windows again since, as I am scared I will mess something up with files on the OS drive, but will look into that. In terms of receiving the same drive, I checked the S/N and the first one was on a slightly different Amazon listing, this one, however, is correct which is why I am worried it’s a fine drive and I am doing something else wrong. But I will still RMA it and perform steps before installing again. Thanks

So I got a 4tb HDD, it was fine for a day, then I turned on my PC to "SMART Failure detected" within 41 hours of operation, I contacted seagate after running Crystal Disk Info saying there was a spin retry count error, and the conclusion was that I had accidentally bought an OEM drive under the same branding, so should return and buy a real one. So I did. It arrives, I plug it in, all fine and dandy. Following day, I have the same thing. I plug it in my brothers PC, run CDI, and same error. Seagate says this is almost impossible and says run seatools. Short generic= Pass, Long generic=Pass, SMART=Fail, Short Drive Self Test=Fail. Seagate said that if the long generic is a pass then "scrub the drive and try again". The SATA cable I used was fine, tried my brothers as well. SATA power, it was a daisy chain cable already powering a few things, maybe this was the issue. I have no clue, do I return it again? Someone help pls. Thanks!
Specs:
ROG X570-F (bought used for Christmas, no issues thus far, unless this could be linked)
R9 5900x
Sapphire 6800xt
Corsair 32gb 3200mhz
Corsair HX1200
Are you overclocking your BCLK/FSB?
Even if it's just multi/mem overclocking, try resetting to stock and see if your issue goes away.

Jan 4, 2022
Are you overclocking your BCLK/FSB?
Even if it's just multi/mem overclocking, try resetting to stock and see if your issue goes away.
I do have DOCP on my RAM, but its auto. I read somewhere that SMART errors are on the disk itself and so even if I change stuff, won't this error still occur as its on the drive now?

Jan 4, 2022

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
<Moderator's note: Your reply should have been in the same language as the preceding posts>

Sua resposta deveria estar no mesmo idioma das postagens anteriores.

= "StepDice, post: 22567726, membro: 2905348"]
Specs:
R9 5900x
Sapphire 6800xt
Corsair 32gb 3200mhz
Corsair HX1200

We have a small design company that has a "graveyard" full of headstones made from Seagate hard drives. We suffered a lot with problems similar to what you reported. Many Barracudas have had problems within a few months and others, despite passing Sentinel tests, die without warning. How do we solve this? We switched to Toshiba. Quiet, reliable and can work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For backups we use WD Blue WD20EZAZ 5400rpm - 3 year warranty. I know he doesn't have the sympathy of many, but it's been several years since we lost a single hard drive. I don't trust Seagate, not least because the warranty requires you to replace your hard drive with one that has already been repaired. If you can change the Seagate, don't think twice.