2x 2ghz xeon processor cooling reccomendations

Uncle Petwinz

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,
I've been looking for a cooling solution that will fit my motherboard i have 2 Xeon processors (2ghz x 2) and my motherboard model is an old Hewlett Packard 0A04h, i need something better than stock
that can cool my cpus better. £50 maximum price

Opaz1ka

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

if £50 is your limit then get 2 hyper 212 evos

As papatim said we would need to know what type of case you are using.

Uncle Petwinz

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Yup

First off, you shouldn't have too much trouble cooling those CPUs. The hottest 2 GHz processors that you can stick in there are Xeon X5335s which are only 80 watt CPUs. The dual core 5130s it likely has are only 65 watts. None of those are too hard to cool and should be plenty cool with an average 2U active workstation heatsink. I'd first try to blow the dust out of the heatsinks and if that doesn't help, replace the old dessicated thermal paste with some new thermal paste.

If you still want to get new heatsinks, the best ones I have run across for LGA771 are Supermicro's SNK-P0034AP4. I have two of those in my dual Xeon X5260 file server and they are very quiet and work very well. It keeps the 80 watt X5260s nice and cool. They are US$33 each here in the U.S., not sure how much that costs in GBP in the UK.

Yeah, those won't work on a Xeon LGA771 bolt-through mounting pattern. However Hyper 212s *will* work on about any Opteron board out there, although you will need to use some already published modifications to get them to work on Socket G34 boards.