2x Aorus 1080ti xtreme tooo thick (Heating prob?)

Aug 11, 2018
Got 2 aorus 1080ti xtreme but when i try to plug it in, they are almost touching each other. Will that be a problem?

Solution
Well, if you already had an issue with 970s then I would expect a problem with 1080ti because there will be more heat and less space. The back of,the GPU puts off a lot of heat and the top card is pulling it in. Instead of buying a new motherboard and CPU, why not just watercool the top card?
Aug 11, 2018
Thanks for the quick answer. This card takes full space of 3 slots unlike other cards. I would love to use 16x pci-e slots but I can't. I could use the other slot for airflow but that will make one of the 1080ti run in 8x mode.. :( Or can I configure which slots to be x16 independently ?
BTW, one more question. I just found out issue with dual and quad channel memory. Can I use 2x16GB ram in gigabyte x299 gaming ultra motherboard which is a quad channel motherboard and has 8 slots ?? If yes, how much lag will be there when running memory intensive programs ?

You can use dual-channel on the X299, shouldn't be any lag. Dual-channel is pretty fast as long as you're running around 3000MHz or better.

You'd see little to no performance loss from running X16/x8. Though, it seems like with dual-channel + x16/x8 you can get the same from a cheaper Z370 system.

You can always get rid of the 1080 Ti's and get 2x RTX 2080 dual-slot GPUs. I'm not sure if there are any dual-slot 2080 Ti, the ones I saw were triple slot.

Aug 11, 2018
Thank you bmockeg and volkgren. and sorry for delayed reply. I'm doing lot of research but still have some questions about this.

I am thinking to buy X299 aorus ultra gaming motherboard and intel i7 7820x cpu (28lanes) but I'm unsure of one thing.

Now since X299 aorus ultra gaming mobo has five 16-pci-e lanes, I can put 1st gpu in 1st lane and 2nd gpu in 4th lane instead of 3rd or 5th(last) slots, so i can have some space in between. Now I know both cards won't run in x16. But I am hoping one should run in x16 and next should run in x8.. If the 4th lane pci-e lane will not run in x8, I think there is no use of buying this motherboard. I don't want to run in 4x. :( OR its okay even if it runs in x4 ??

*Btw, I can't place 2nd card in 5th(last) slot, because even most full tower casing or server casing doesn't have enough space for gpu either because of power supply placement or just no space.

**BTW, I see lots of multi gpu setups images in google, May be it's completely normal and my temp won't rise to 80/90+ degrees ????

Aug 11, 2018

I don't have vendors who has this in their stock. Otherwise I could try as well before I could buy. They have to order and once they order, I have to pay full money whether it works or not :(

Aug 11, 2018
Yes its a good idea and my 100W power is also coming tomorrow.

But I was already using 2 970 GTX GPUs (msi and gigabyte ) earlier with 750w. One of the gpu was peaking to 65degrees but the other one was peaking to 81 degrees even after I left the side lid/cover open. I donn't know why it peaks to 80degrees. They both have quite a bit of space since those cards were less thicker.

May be it's not good idea to keep the side lid open and the air circulation should help it cool down with more fans ? But anyway, I may give it a try tomorrow even though I'm a bit skeptical that it works. Thanks anyways for your suggestion ^^

Well, if you already had an issue with 970s then I would expect a problem with 1080ti because there will be more heat and less space. The back of,the GPU puts off a lot of heat and the top card is pulling it in. Instead of buying a new motherboard and CPU, why not just watercool the top card?

Solution