[SOLVED] 3.5k Alienware Laptop Cooling problem . 17 R5 with 1080 and ( i9-8950HK )

Quokeepac

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
PROBLEM :
The I9-8950HK is throttling from nowhere .

It all started 1 year ago , i was playing some games and all of the sudden the FPS drops to 20 .
I was like ok , something is throttling . I check the GPU and CPU and i see that the CPU stays at 100 degrees .
I was like damn .. what is going on . So i try to clean it . And i can say i found some dust but nothing crazy .

Problem still persists . Then i go on the interent to try to make it chill .
Found some temporary solutions with one of the overclocking presets and apparently that fixed the problem .

But how did fix it ? I don't know . The pc was staying at 95 degrees . But not throttling .
When i went on DELL Alienware support forum, they all say it's normal .
Now after a couple of months , it started again . And it throttles hard . So i go and download Throttlestop . I have no idea how it works but with some setting changed from some forum , it started to work again .

Till today .. , the CPU throttles again . I made it stay around 80-90 while playing and that is great .
Problem is the CPU randomly decides to FULL on throttle and it goes to 0.80 Ghz when before it was doing that at 100 .I tested BF1 with it . Plays perfectly . Temperatures stay at a constant 92=93 . Not moving down or up the whole time . Its staying around 3.8-4.1 Ghz . And from nowhere it goes to 0.80 and it stays there for about 30 second . I had also some full shut downs .

Is there any way to force the CPU stay at 3.8 Ghz ? Without throttling . I don't see much of an improvement in FPS after that .

Solution
Ok cool

Yeah, you need a high volume pad and block the edges so all air goes through. It's the only way really.

The most negative aspect of cooling in these laptops is cpu & gpu often share the same heat pipe system. Makes it difficult to cool.

Hopefully more forced air will help.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cooling in performance laptops has never been good. There are some things you can do instead of throttle stop which you shouldn't do as that'll eventually harm the cpu if not already.

Things you can do

1. Use Windows to limit maximum processor state in power plan advanced options.

2. Get your self a decent cooling pad and enhance air flow further by sticking sponge stickon strips under the laptop to block any gaps so all generated air from the pad goes through instead of losing some out the undersides.

Quokeepac

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Number 1: I actually already tried to put it on 80% before . It still does throttles from time to time .

Number 2 : I use a selfie stick under the laptop haha I use it as a laptop stand . And the laptop stays at a slight angle. I don't use it on the bed just in case there is a question about this .

Thank you for the answer by the way 😁

Quokeepac

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Just incase you don't know what a cooling pad is because your reply hints that you sort of don't. If you search laptop cooling pads, you'll see they are pads with fans underneath to force more air upwards.
Yep I know what it is . You put It under the laptop it has fans with a USB cable connection that you can use to power the fans . I had it for an older laptop .

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok cool

Yeah, you need a high volume pad and block the edges so all air goes through. It's the only way really.

The most negative aspect of cooling in these laptops is cpu & gpu often share the same heat pipe system. Makes it difficult to cool.

Hopefully more forced air will help.

Solution