[SOLVED] 3 drive mirrored stripe

mejmo06

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
I have three used HDDs that are in good working order and passed SMART tests. I don't want them to go to waste but I also want to get some decent performance out of them as one volume. There are 2 500gb and 1 1tb drives. I thought I knew a lot a bout RAID and storage seeing as I've configured several NAS boxes and countless builds. I've used RAID 0, 1, 10, Z1, Z2, Z3. However, I can't seem to figure this one out.

I want to stripe the 500gb drives into a 1tb volume and then mirror that stripe to the other 1tb drive. I have found nothing about this. Basically, it seems to be a raid 0+1 with three drives. Is that a thing and how could I configure it?

Solution
These are not for backup. They will be used for temporary "scratch" storage. Possibly game storage. My hope is that I will get the read speed of three drives (or at least two) and have the comfort of a mirror for uptime when a drive fails.

I will probably end up striping the three of them and losing out on 500gb in the third drive but have the performance benefit.
If you're dead set on the RAID 0, I would just do it with the 2x500GB, and run a regular backup routine to the 1TB.
"Downtime" in case of a drive fail in the RAID 0 would be maybe an hour.

(Personally, I wouldn't do the RAID 0 at all, but...)

mejmo06

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
These are not for backup. They will be used for temporary "scratch" storage. Possibly game storage. My hope is that I will get the read speed of three drives (or at least two) and have the comfort of a mirror for uptime when a drive fails.

I will probably end up striping the three of them and losing out on 500gb in the third drive but have the performance benefit.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're dead set on the RAID 0, I would just do it with the 2x500GB, and run a regular backup routine to the 1TB.
"Downtime" in case of a drive fail in the RAID 0 would be maybe an hour.

(Personally, I wouldn't do the RAID 0 at all, but...)

Solution