3 Under-$500 PC Builds for Playing Games Like Fortnite

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@randomstar...

At a $500 "budget" standpoint, a CPU upgrade would be a very valid consideration - especially when starting out with a DualCore w/HT in 2018.

Statistically, how many people 'upgrade' the CPU vs the entire platform overall? I don't know.
BUT, I'd look back to maybe a G3258. Great chip at the time.. Platform remains viable, even today - but the chip, not so much.
A used i5 or i7 of the era would still be a valid (and reasonably cost effective) upgrade for substantial gains in most games today.

Generally, aiming for the best available at the time of building makes the most sense..... but in the context of the budget/extreme budget space, I don't think too many people are looking at it as "done" indefinitely. Upgrades (IMO) are fully anticipated.

Most people would think RAM/Storage/GPU as an upgrade route.... but preferences change, both titles played and workloads performed.
Going into a build with the expectation you'd upgrade makes sense -- and I wouldn't suggest anybody goes in blinkered as such that it could ONLY be RAM/Storage/GPU. Evaluate your workloads/games played. If the CPU is where you'd benefit the most, then it's a viable option.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
TBH, I think bring in a used i5 kind of validates my thoughts about using a " dead" socket. pulling used parts into the discussion really makes a mess of this build though, as why not just start with the i5 from ebay or whatever in the first place?
If they are building a new system on a budget, then ..
just playing the advocate, really. I just built one for my mom, bought a dell refurb chassis and slapped a 1050 in it, - i5, 8 gb ram, ssd boot,/240, 430watt P/S, all under 350..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In any other situation, yes, suggesting the used route or pre-built + upgrades would make sense.

This thread though, was specifically for a $500 budget build for Fortnite. Specific rules apply/applied. New components only etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.