[SOLVED] 30% CPU usage by 'System'

Sep 25, 2020
When I boot up my PC process called 'System' is taking 30% of my CPU. I've found that, when I restart my computer using Windows, CPU usage drops to 1-2%
The process is called ntoskrnl.exe!KiStartSystemThread Is there any way to fix that? beacause its annoying to constatnly restart computer.

Solution
I am just going to mention that your question, and those of many others dating back to ~2015 is worded very strangely similar. I did not note an easily found solution among those questions across multiple forums and platforms.

Long answer seems to be to check all your drivers, and run a memory test. Might consider a reformat just to see if that clears it. The process is normal and required, but that level of up front usage is not.
When I boot up my PC process called 'System' is taking 30% of my CPU. I've found that, when I restart my computer using Windows, CPU usage drops to 1-2%
The process is called ntoskrnl.exe!KiStartSystemThread Is there any way to fix that? beacause its annoying to constatnly restart computer.
Get WinTernals Process Explorer to help drill down and find out what's launching that process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer

It's basically a super-duper task manager with a lot more info.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am just going to mention that your question, and those of many others dating back to ~2015 is worded very strangely similar. I did not note an easily found solution among those questions across multiple forums and platforms.

Long answer seems to be to check all your drivers, and run a memory test. Might consider a reformat just to see if that clears it. The process is normal and required, but that level of up front usage is not.

Solution