Question 3060 - black screen when playing games - sometimes idle..

Oct 14, 2022
Hey all - my first post but long time lurker to these forums!

I have been experiencing black screens (audio still present) with my build. I've had this machine for little over a year now and it's suddenly started to occur the past week. I have done numerous googles and "fixes" and none have prevailed! If someone could potentially point me in the right direction - it would be much appreciated!
Common error experienced: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Gaming: Game I've tried that crashes: Overwatch 2 - ultra / high specs. 144hz - 27" - DisplayPort.
I can only play OW2 for 2 games before a crash occurs.

Idle/Work: Was in a meeting and GPU crashed. I could still communicate and talk to colleagues. Managed to restore the GPU with CTRL+ SHIFT + Windows Key + B - this does not work with games.

Fixes tried:
  • DDU - older drives back to earlier this year.
  • Bios update.
  • Removal of GPU and PCI slot cleaning.
  • Removal of RAM and slot cleaning.
  • General dust cleanup.
  • Temps / benchmark tests - GPU / CPU don't peak above 80 - done OCCT and Unigine benchmark tests.
  • XMP profile disabled.
  • sfc scannow / checkdisk (cant remember command name).
  • Power management - maximum.
  • Ctrl + Shift + Windows Key + B.
  • I don't think I have any conflicting RGB software - only have Steelseries and Coolermaster software.
  • I don't run MSI Afterburner. I have a NZXT device so I have NZXT CAM installed.
  • I haven't overclocked (GPU came pre-overclocked ) - I haven't tried underclocking.
  • I haven't tried any voltage related thing regarding RAM, CPU, GPU.
My possible fixes could be: RMA (GPU/CPU) or higher wattage PSU?

I have contacted supplier and they have offered to carry out an RMA but I'm hoping to find a solution before resulting to this!

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage (OS): Kingston 240gb SSD
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair RM Series™ RM750 — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU (UK)

Oct 15, 2022
Hi! Just letting you know that I'm having similar problems with similar specs.
I'm also running a 10700k, same exact RAM but with a Asus 3070 Strix OC.
I even upgraded from I think a 750w PSU to a 1000w PSU (ROG Strix 1000w) just to be safe, and I still have the same problem. I also tried to RMA my card but the store where I bought it from ran some tests and couldn't reproduce the error, so they wouldn't take it back.
The problem started with a black screen, followed by an automatic reboot after ~1min. When that happened my dump-file also said I had problems with nvlddmkm, and "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE".
Now though, it doesn't reboot when it crashes. I have to force a reboot manually, which means no crash logs.
The only thing I've found to be helping is upping the GPU power limit in MSI afterburner to 125%, but I havent had the time to test it completely. And if that's the solution, I'm not sure which component is causing it.

Oct 14, 2022
Hi! Just letting you know that I'm having similar problems with similar specs.
I'm also running a 10700k, same exact RAM but with a Asus 3070 Strix OC.
I even upgraded from I think a 750w PSU to a 1000w PSU (ROG Strix 1000w) just to be safe, and I still have the same problem. I also tried to RMA my card but the store where I bought it from ran some tests and couldn't reproduce the error, so they wouldn't take it back.
The problem started with a black screen, followed by an automatic reboot after ~1min. When that happened my dump-file also said I had problems with nvlddmkm, and "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE".
Now though, it doesn't reboot when it crashes. I have to force a reboot manually, which means no crash logs.
The only thing I've found to be helping is upping the GPU power limit in MSI afterburner to 125%, but I havent had the time to test it completely. And if that's the solution, I'm not sure which component is causing it.

Thanks for letting me know. I am sending the card back to supplier tomorrow for tests. I'll try and do that with my card.

I am the same in regards to the fact that I can't reboot the GPU without a full reset of the PC. CTRL + SHIFT + Windows Key + B doesn't allow me to reset.

I have been able to get a mini dump one time with it crashing manually.

I spoke to a user on a tech support discord and he was convinced it may be a motherboard, PSU, or GPU issue..

Still not found the official cause!

Oct 14, 2022
Update:

I sent the GPU away for testing - and they were unable to find any issues. I've tried the other PCI-E slot also and the issue still persists.

I have also tried running a game that made me crash in low graphics on integrated graphics - no crash...

Any ideas on what to test next?