[SOLVED] 3070 ti getting as many frames as my 1060

Jun 13, 2021
I play Overwatch on lowest settings and I've been getting 220+/- fps on both my new 3070 ti and my old 1060.
I ran DDU in safe boot 3+ times to reinstall nvidia drivers with and without geforce, reinstalled windows, updated my chipset, set power management mode to maximum performance, made sure my ram was set to the right speed in bios, still similar results.
Idk if it's a driver issue with the new card or I'm doing something wrong

Specs-
3070 ti Zotac trinity
Ryzen 7 3800x
32 GB 3200 mhz
850 gold psu

Solution
It is your typical CPU bottleneck. Turn them both up to ultra settings and you will see the 3070 pull away big time. Nothing is wrong. On lowest settings (fidelity) the CPU will pretty much establish the max frame rate. The GPUs magic is the ability to go to higher settings and keep those fps. 220 fps is nothing to complain about.

^This^

If you want higher fps, you need a CPU upgrade; your 3800x can't feed any more frames to your GPU than this no matter what GPU you have attached. You have found your fps ceiling for this CPU when playing this game at this resolution.

Depending on your motherboard, a Ryzen 5800x could drop right in and would probably be your best bet for higher fps.

jasonf2

Distinguished
It is your typical CPU bottleneck. Turn them both up to ultra settings and you will see the 3070 pull away big time. Nothing is wrong. On lowest settings (fidelity) the CPU will pretty much establish the max frame rate. The GPUs magic is the ability to go to higher settings and keep those fps. 220 fps is nothing to complain about.

Jun 13, 2021
Ah, this makes sense, explains why I get a ton more frames on apex and when I turn up graphics I don't lose frames, thanks for the explanation!

Reactions: spentshells

^This^

If you want higher fps, you need a CPU upgrade; your 3800x can't feed any more frames to your GPU than this no matter what GPU you have attached. You have found your fps ceiling for this CPU when playing this game at this resolution.

Depending on your motherboard, a Ryzen 5800x could drop right in and would probably be your best bet for higher fps.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution
Jun 13, 2021
^This^

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at the zen 3 chips AMD has

Reactions: spentshells