32 bit items on a 64 bit machine. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaphead

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
My machine runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system. Yet when I open Task manager, I see 32-bit stuff on there.
Does the 32 bit stuff slow down the machine and as this is a 64 bit machine are they relevant, and can they (the 32-bit programs) be upgraded or deleted.
Sorry if I appear vague, but its first thing in the morning here and I ain't had any coffee yet.:pt1cable:
Thanks

Solution
Windows has a 32 bit subsystem to a run 32 bit apps. Lots of programs have don't need the large address space and have not been re written and compiled as 64 bit.
I expect to see this as long as there are 32 bit processors shipping. Vendors do not make a 64 bit version if users are willing to us a 32 bit version, users are basically happy if it works. Users complain when it fails, mostly in games that need speed and access to more memory space. Many game developers have to update the game server code to 64 bit before updating clients. Many older game engines still use 32 bit code.

Windows tries to support old code by enmulators. They later rip it out in future versions when people stop using it.
For example, old versions of...

0xBahaa

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
It's OK if u ask.
32 bit programs work on 64-bit Operating Systems, but not vice versa.
Actually, if u open ur system partition (usually the C:\), u will find a folder called "program files", and another one called "program files (x86)" (which harbors the 32-bit programs in it).
Also if u know where to look in the "Windows" and "System32" folders, u'll find loads of 32-bit DLLs there.
You might want to read small introductions about 64-bit programming if u would like to know why 32-bit codes run on 64-bit OSs.

Windows has a 32 bit subsystem to a run 32 bit apps. Lots of programs have don't need the large address space and have not been re written and compiled as 64 bit.
I expect to see this as long as there are 32 bit processors shipping. Vendors do not make a 64 bit version if users are willing to us a 32 bit version, users are basically happy if it works. Users complain when it fails, mostly in games that need speed and access to more memory space. Many game developers have to update the game server code to 64 bit before updating clients. Many older game engines still use 32 bit code.

Windows tries to support old code by enmulators. They later rip it out in future versions when people stop using it.
For example, old versions of Windows had dos enulators, 32 bit windows could run 16 bit code, windows nt could run some os/2 code. It gets removed as people migrate away from old applications.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.