[SOLVED] 32GB RAM Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi all, advice needed please:
I install 16GB in either slot on my Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 board and it boots normally but if I then if I add another 16GB with it (identical module), it keeps boot looping back to the BIOS or freezing as soon as I start Windows 10 setup or get to the first menu of Hiren's boot DVD.
It runs fine with 2 2GB or 2 1GB modules in and also runs fine with 1 16GB and 1 2GB or 1 16GB and 1 1GB module in but no matter what I do, it wont boot with 32GB RAM in there.
CPU is A10-7700K, 850W 80+ Powercool PSU, using the APU graphics on board (though I have the same issue with an R9-280X installed too). I have updated BIOS to latest version (Ver. FC) and cleared all settings using the jumper on the board and by removing the CMOS battery and still have the same issue. Even if all I have connected is the motherboard power, a 16GB SSD (Hiren's Boot DVD on it) and the CPU power (no case fans or anything except CPU fan). Anyone able to offer any theories?

Solution
It looks like this is all resolved now. Issues were apparently mis-sold RAM (sold to me as 1600 but actually works at 800) and the fact that the CPU/Mobo don't like 800 RAM.
I have now got all 3 monitors working from the R9-280X graphics card and have disabled the onboard GPU completely.
Also changed the setup of the RAM in the BIOS to force 1066 speed and auto-voltage/timings. It has been running perfectly since those changes with the full 32GB RAM in dual channel configuration.
I am just glad that this saga is over. This issue can be closed and marked as resolved now. Thank you everyone for your help and advice on this matter.
Which exact memory brand and model is it?

Is it BIOS version FC or F2C?

install one 16GB module and
check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

if this one was good, replace the one 16GB module with the other and test with this one

if no errors are there:
install both 16GB modules, reset the motherboard by jumper and try booting after this

Callum Clarke

Honorable
May 28, 2014
I'd suggest double checking the model numbers on the 16GB sticks. DDR3 is a little funny with mixing and matching ram sticks. I used to get away with it back in the day though when I still had a DDR2 motherboard.

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Both modules are totally identical IC's in board, no labels on the modules though. Memtest latest version has been run with pass on ALL tests (including bit fade) on each individual module but it still fails to boot when i try both slots full. Also tried each module in both slots. Been at this 48 hours now and starting to think it isneither motherboard chipset or CPU issue as all other issues have been ruled out. Got another mobo on the way so will see if it works with that, then - if that has same issue - will Warranty swap the CPU for a new one and see if that solves it.
It is ver 1.1 of the board, bios FC.
Additional issues experienced, installing chipset or gpu software in windows causes system to crash with blank screen or lines flickering all over it.
I will update when new mobo is in place and let you all know the results. Thank you all for your input so far 😁

Both modules are totally identical IC's in board, no labels on the modules though. Memtest latest version has been run with pass on ALL tests (including bit fade) on each individual module but it still fails to boot when i try both slots full. Also tried each module in both slots. Been at this 48 hours now and starting to think it isneither motherboard chipset or CPU issue as all other issues have been ruled out. Got another mobo on the way so will see if it works with that, then - if that has same issue - will Warranty swap the CPU for a new one and see if that solves it.
It is ver 1.1 of the board, bios FC.
Additional issues experienced, installing chipset or gpu software in windows causes system to crash with blank screen or lines flickering all over it.
I will update when new mobo is in place and let you all know the results. Thank you all for your input so far 😁
Have you made sure it isnt a dead slot on the motherboard?

Dannypot

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
That still doesn't make them a matched set. Unless the manufacturer packed them in the same package they are NOT tested and guaranteed to work together. This is especially important with AMD systems.
When installed as a pair, BIOS reports the exact same timings on both modules, no matter which 2 of the 3 16's I insert. I figure this means they are a matched pair?

When installed as a pair, BIOS reports the exact same timings on both modules, no matter which 2 of the 3 16's I insert. I figure this means they are a matched pair?
No. Unless you got them from the exact same kit, there is no guarantee that they are matched. They can be different ICs with the same timings, which could cause incompatibility. It does not matter what timings are reported in bios, or that their XMP timings are the same.

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
I found the cause of the error - though still not sure what it means.
I disabled the integrated graphics completely in the BIOS last night and it worked PERFECTLY straight away.
Booted to Windows, installed the chipset drivers and loaded to memtest86+ with 32GB RAM installed without any errors.
I didn't actually RUN the RAM test as all 3 16GB modules have been tested fully separately and gave no errors and same timings info in memtest86+ when I tested them individually and the timings info in my BIOS for both modules is identical when they are installed - all 20+ options are exactly the same on both modules (set to auto settings of course).
I assume this means either the CPU doesn't like using the R7 with more than 16GB RAM (memory addressing glitch perhaps) or the motherboard chipset is playing silly beggars with me and the board is actually faulty.
Still, new motherboard due today/tomorrow (depending on Hermes) - will test with that and see how it goes.
In the meantime, I have ordered 2 mini-dp to VGA adapters for the R9 card I have as only 1 of the DVI ports supports VGA output and all 3 of my monitors only have VGA on them (yes, I should upgrade but they'll do for now).
I want to thank EVERYONE for their advice and ideas on what to test or change to fix this issue but it appears it is an integrated GPU issue of some kind as the board boots fine with integrated GPU off and 32GB RAM. Windows 10 installed 1st try without error or strangely timed reboots like it kept doing before.

So to clarify, anyone finding this post in the future and having issues running 32GB RAM with an A10-7700K should try disabling the integrated graphics and installing a PCI-E x16 graphics card to see if that solves their issue.

In the meantime, I will update this posting when the new board is in place and running to show which component is causing the error.

Thanks again guys n gals!! :giggle::giggle:

Dannypot

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
Ok. So 2nd motherboard, different model (see my signature, the new one arrived and got fitted yesterday) and the same issue except this time, i can't get it to stabilise - even without integrated graphics enabled. Surely this confirms a CPU fault, yes? Same issue with 3 different types of RAM - 2x1gb 10600, 2x2gb 10600 or 2x16gb 12800.
I did, briefly, have a stable system with 32GB RAM on the original mobo when integrated GPU was disabled after a full CMOS reset and it appeared to run normally without any issues for a good few hours as the current setup does with 16GB RAM.
I have contacted the company I bought the CPU from for replacement and sent videos of the fault to prove it. Awaiting reply from them

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Ok, so fyrther testing completed. Tried a 16Gb and a 4GB together both with AND without the integrated GPU enabled and it ran perfectly. It would appear that the CPU memory controller just doesn't like having 32GB installed... Which is odd given that the board takes up to 64Gb and the CPU doesn't have a maximum listed anywhere i can find... Me thinks faulty CPU as I also installed all 3 16gb modules onto a friend's board and it all worked perfectly. Currently arguing with the retailler about a replacement now

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Found the issue! Jumping for joy!!
I noticed that the BIOS on my board was detecting RAM voltage to be 1.35v but was running it at 1.5v.
So I forced 1.35V for the RAM in advanced voltage settings and then manually set the RAM multiplier to fix RAM @ 1066 (DDR3-8500). Since then I have 32GB stable with onboard GPU on or off! It also passed memtest86+ and full roud of quicktech pro tests and is now sitting in Windows waiting for me to start work. Thank you EVERYONE for your help on this but it appears to be all good 😁😁😁😁😁

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
It looks like this is all resolved now. Issues were apparently mis-sold RAM (sold to me as 1600 but actually works at 800) and the fact that the CPU/Mobo don't like 800 RAM.
I have now got all 3 monitors working from the R9-280X graphics card and have disabled the onboard GPU completely.
Also changed the setup of the RAM in the BIOS to force 1066 speed and auto-voltage/timings. It has been running perfectly since those changes with the full 32GB RAM in dual channel configuration.
I am just glad that this saga is over. This issue can be closed and marked as resolved now. Thank you everyone for your help and advice on this matter.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.