[SOLVED] 3700x, which setting is best for gaming

AKKIZEN

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
MB : Crosshair Viii hero (non wifi), BIOS 2311
---
Guys please help, I want to boost my pc performance, i'm not sure which ones go best but i hear there PBO and precision boost, so which setting i should go ? or just do the manual overclocking by myself for boost the performance ?

Solution
Set up BIOS right: cool n quiet, advance c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores all ENABLED.

In PBO, set it to enabled and MANUAL settings then PPT to 330, EDC and TDC both to 230. You can also put PBO Scalar to 5x or 10x if you're greedy. Also up to 200 Mhz additional boost sometimes helps but that depends on processor and motherboard.

EDIT: don't fall in the trap of trying to all-core overclock. Reason is that PBO lets the processor boost single cores to high clocks, much higher than you can get all cores to clock with reasonable voltage and temperature. Even heavily multi-threaded games only use one thread heavily and that's the one that's boosting and giving it good clocks when it needs it.
Set up BIOS right: cool n quiet, advance c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores all ENABLED.

In PBO, set it to enabled and MANUAL settings then PPT to 330, EDC and TDC both to 230. You can also put PBO Scalar to 5x or 10x if you're greedy. Also up to 200 Mhz additional boost sometimes helps but that depends on processor and motherboard.

EDIT: don't fall in the trap of trying to all-core overclock. Reason is that PBO lets the processor boost single cores to high clocks, much higher than you can get all cores to clock with reasonable voltage and temperature. Even heavily multi-threaded games only use one thread heavily and that's the one that's boosting and giving it good clocks when it needs it.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, thanks guys ! but turn PBO on, is it possible to keep my cpu temp below than 70'C.
Probably not, but it's not that important to. What you want is to keep it below 80C in your heaviest sustained all-core workload to keep it boosting best. That will probably need a big Noctua or Arctic or BeQuiet cooler, or a decent 240mm+ AIO if you want it to be quiet too. PBO DOES work it harder and it puts out a lot of heat for that.

At around 80-85C it starts pulling it's boosts much more. It's OK if it gets to 85C or more in stress tests as the processor is perfectly safe up to 95C, it's specified Tjmax.

Also, it's normal for Ryzen processors to repeatedly spike temperature as it boosts to high clocks when idle. Those spikes are an effect of the 7nm manufacturing process and impossible to 'cool off'. You need to set a custom fan profile that ignores the spikes and only changes with the average temperature.

Last edited: