[SOLVED] 3900x fixed voltage 1.2v dangerous?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 13, 2020
Hello there I got myself new pc pieces including a 3900x with a asus tuf x570 - cooler dark rock 4
I mainly use the computer when I come from work ( using 3dsmax for rendering and a bit of gaming as well )

But I noticed that while stressing out at cinebench r20 temps would rocket to 86º. (stock score 7400 - with the changes into voltage and speed - 7100 score )

I went to ryzen master and set a peak voltage to 1.2 at 4050mhz and it seems to stable out while under stress gets to 75º and idle 40-45º. ( with stock it would sometimes touch on 65º-70º on idle, would seem unstable somehow? )

BIOS chipset, graphics card everything up to date, windows 10 aswell, was the first thing I did after start moving stuff.

My question is the peak and average voltage is at 1.2 always, is there any way on ryzen master or anywhere else that i can set the voltage to not stay static? ( if it's not dangerous I would leave it that way? )

Bios settings on auto or they shouldn't be?
If you require any more info would gladly provide!

Sorry I am no expert into this matter and would like some input into this, thanks alot guys!

Solution
Guess I am very out of luck with fans..And I can't seem to find anything equivalent to this one you suggested.
with 4pins pwm to stay on motherboard and superior to 1500rpm and in terms of cooling quality, and 120mm, so frustrating..

wil the ARCTIC BioniX F120 will do the work?

I am in the meantime updating my RAM because im using 4x4gb 2133mhz. And i see Ryzen likes above 3200mhz ( i will be buying g.skill ripjaws v cl16 3200mhz )

Yes the bionix are very good fans, go right ahead with those.
Also swapping your ram to 2 x 8gb will pay huge dividends with performance.

Get those running full speed and maybe 15-20% performance increase.
Jul 13, 2020
Depends on paste?

I use cooler master maker nano which is very thick, so on my ryzen 7 I actually spread it over the entire die with the included spatula.

Gp12 is a very nice fan

https://www.globaldata.pt/aircoolin...-12-pwm-preto-branco-120mm-dyn-x2-gp12-pwm-wt

I have 3 of them in my case, virtually silent.

I use Mx4 Artic, bought it together while buying pc parts

Ok, I can buy probably buy 4 of those? and switch everything on my case?

What's with the 4 pins and 2 pins?

Thanks for helping me, this is really nerve recking has I don't understand :c

Sorry for the delay I dived into work for some time and came back to this huge thread lol!

Im with Paaze88 and madmatt30

1 extra 120mm fan at the top will be great (the closest to the rear one, and far away from the cpu one)
And yeah thermal paste should be applied in a way to make sure it covers the entire cpu ihs.

I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but it wouldnt be the first time either. If you will, when you get back home, turn ON the PC and double check the PC case fans are well mounted, with the two fans at the front blowing "fresh" air inside the case, and the one at the back blowing the hot air out of the case.

Airflow should be similar to this: https://w7.pngwing.com/pngs/174/896...mputer-network-computer-electronic-device.png

MX-4 is a pretty good paste!

Reactions: garfsbastians
I use Mx4 Artic, bought it together while buying pc parts

Ok, I can buy probably buy 4 of those? and switch everything on my case?

What's with the 4 pins and 2 pins?

Thanks for helping me, this is really nerve recking has I don't understand :c

There are no 2 pins, they're a straight 4 pin pwm fan.

I thought you were just buying one?

I wouldn't buy 4 in any case, maybe 2??

Use those as front intakes because I have virtually no doubt they will be better than the nox fans that are included in the case.

Then use one of the front nox fans as a top rear exhaust and keep 1 as a spare.

Been looking at your board bios, it does support p-state clocking which in essence let's you set different voltages for different load and incremental clock speeds.

However not owning the actual board or a ryzen 9 myself I'm loathe to actually advise on it in any depth.

Jul 13, 2020
Sorry for the delay I dived into work for some time and came back to this huge thread lol!

1 extra 120mm fan at the top will be great (the closest to the rear one, and far away from the cpu one)
And yeah thermal paste should be applied in a way to make sure it covers the entire cpu ihs.

I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but it wouldnt be the first time either. If you will, when you get back home, turn ON the PC and double check the PC case fans are well mounted, with the two fans at the front blowing "fresh" air inside the case, and the one at the back blowing the hot air out of the case.

Airflow should be similar to this: https://w7.pngwing.com/pngs/174/896...mputer-network-computer-electronic-device.png

Is there any way to know the right side of the fans, like the Logo in the front of it or the design of the fans itself?

yeh Probably bad application ( hope so! ) il try the X and dots between them

Jul 13, 2020
There are no 2 pins, they're a straight 4 pin pwm fan.

I thought you were just buying one?

I wouldn't buy 4 in any case, maybe 2??

Use those as front intakes because I have virtually no doubt they will be better than the nox fans that are included in the case.

Then use one of the front nox fans as a top rear exhaust and keep 1 as a spare.

Been looking at your board bios, it does support p-state clocking which in essence let's you set different voltages for different load and incremental clock speeds.

However not owning the actual board or a ryzen 9 myself I'm loathe to actually advise on it in any depth.

Okey I will probably then remount the cooler and apply thermal paste into X shape.
Then put the 2 new fans at front has you suggested, and apply the 2 nox stock ones - one in the back and one in the top has exhaust fans.

I'm so dumb I am even doubting if I currently placed fans correctly, ahah

Is there any way to know the right side of the fans, like the Logo in the front of it or the design of the fans itself?

yeh Probably bad application ( hope so! ) il try the X and dots between them

The front of a fan (the side that pulls air in) will have generally have a centre spindle with the label/branding on and the blade area will be completely clear.

The strut supports are always on the rear side of a fan (the side that throws air out).

So I'm essence for front intakes, the labeled clear side will always be pointing forwards to the front of the case, the struts will be visible from the inside of the case

Vice versa for exhausts the strut side of the fan sits to the case, the labelled spindle open side will always be visible from inside the case interior.

Jul 13, 2020
The front of a fan (the side that pulls air in) will have generally have a centre spindle with the label/branding on and the blade area will be completely clear.

The strut supports are always on the rear side of a fan (the side that throws air out).

So I'm essence for front intakes, the labeled clear side will always be pointing forwards to the front of the case, the struts will be visible from the inside of the case

Vice versa for exhausts the strut side of the fan sits to the case, the labelled spindle open side will always be visible from inside the case interior.

This is my computer, got home now. Sharing some photos

https://ibb.co/7YjMxpq
https://ibb.co/ftck38Z
https://ibb.co/Sf5Ydz4

I think everything set on correctly then?

Jul 13, 2020

Sharing photos of the current build right now :)

https://ibb.co/7YjMxpq
https://ibb.co/ftck38Z
https://ibb.co/Sf5Ydz4

Jul 13, 2020
Looks to me the fans are installed the correct way!!!

well, that's fantastic I guess aha!

This are the cinebench scores:

This one is without any config
https://ibb.co/Jr5TDQM

Score: 6900

With Tweaks on master ryzen ( voltage stuck on 1.2v )
https://ibb.co/VDtknRL

Score 7100

It seems its pulling much power on everything without any config and lower clocks?

EDIT: I see on HWinfo the voltages are not necessarily stuck at 1.2v they jump to 1.0 1.1
So it is not fully fixed?

Last edited:
well, that's fantastic I guess aha!

This are the cinebench scores:

This one is without any config
https://ibb.co/Jr5TDQM

Score: 6900

With Tweaks on master ryzen ( voltage stuck on 1.2v )
https://ibb.co/VDtknRL

Score 7100

It seems its pulling much power on everything without any config and lower clocks?

EDIT: I see on HWinfo the voltages are not necessarily stuck at 1.2v they jump to 1.0 1.1
So it is not fully fixed?

Its a weird result, you're getting higher clocks at less voltage than at stock but a worse overall muti core score.

It doesn't make a lot of sense really.

On another note I checked the hummer fan specs out, the gp12s push 50% more airflow with pretty much the same noise output so they're a good upgrade intake fan wise.

Jul 13, 2020
Its a weird result, you're getting higher clocks at less voltage than at stock but a worse overall muti core score.

I as well on tweaking set it to 4050 as max maybe its the cause on full load?.
I noticed has i said on a reply that in hwinfo I see the voltage jumping around 1.0-1.2 but not passing that treshhold. ( with ryzen master tweaking ofcourse) without the tweaks e see the usual bounces of 1.0-1.4 and the idle temp around 55º opposed to the 40º idle.

SO I am confused aswell ahaha!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

We can't see the whole picture with a screenshot, but I think it does make sense.
They got higher clocks, yes, but the undervolt is too much, so the higher clocks don't hold. I'd imagine the stock settings are incurring smaller drops in frequency across the board compared to the manual settings.

I as well on tweaking set it to 4050 as max maybe its the cause on full load?.
I noticed has i said on a reply that in hwinfo I see the voltage jumping around 1.0-1.2 but not passing that treshhold. ( with ryzen master tweaking ofcourse) without the tweaks e see the usual bounces of 1.0-1.4 and the idle temp around 55º opposed to the 40º idle.

SO I am confused aswell ahaha!

As said before the voltage and temp spikes on ryzen at low loads are absolutely normal, these cpu's have habits that have nothing in common with any cpu's released previously.

It panics people who have come from older systems but it shouldn't, it's absolutely normal.

Thatbsaid I'm a mad tweaker myself, I refuse to run anything at 'stock' and always have done.

Jul 13, 2020
We can't see the whole picture with a screenshot, but I think it does make sense.
They got higher clocks, yes, but the undervolt is too much, so the higher clocks don't hold. I'd imagine the stock settings are incurring smaller drops in frequency across the board compared to the manual settings.

What about all those red circles without the tweaks? Can I leave it atleast this week with the tweaks and at the weekend change the termal paste along with the extra fan?

And probably reset the Bios again, the only thing I have there is set the ram to 2133mhz nothing more ( something about DCOP profile?)

Jul 13, 2020
As said before the voltage and temp spikes on ryzen at low loads are absolutely normal, these cpu's have habits that have nothing in common with any cpu's released previously.

It panics people who have come from older systems but it shouldn't, it's absolutely normal.

Thatbsaid I'm a mad tweaker myself, I refuse to run anything at 'stock' and always have done.

So can I keep the tweaks maybe? Il test with extra fan and thermals reapplied as well on weekend.

I am just not happy with the 1.4 volts on idle and so much reading probably did more bad then good on my head

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those red circles for PPT, Power, TDC, and EDC are nothing harmful. It shows that when it hits that particular limit.
SOC and Temperature in the red would be harmful though.

The word needs to spread around: these cpus can tune themselves better than the user can. Literally nothing needs to be done to them by the user, save for aftermarket cooling and dual channel ram, up to 3733mhz, CL16/17.
YOU aren't comfortable with 1.4v running temporarily though 2-3 threads, but it is. It does not draw nearly as much voltage if it's got like 5 or more threads active.
YOU aren't comfortable with 80C thermals, but it is. I've seen so many threads bring up this number, that it must be true; this is the cpu's comfort zone.
At that point, who knows best: you, or the cpu?

Jul 13, 2020
Those red circles for PPT, Power, TDC, and EDC are nothing harmful. It shows that when it hits that particular limit.
SOC and Temperature in the red would be harmful though.

The word needs to spread around: these cpus can tune themselves better than the user can. Literally nothing needs to be done to them by the user, save for aftermarket cooling and dual channel ram, up to 3733mhz, CL16/17.
YOU aren't comfortable with 1.4v running temporarily though 2-3 threads, but it is. It does not draw nearly as much voltage if it's got like 5 or more threads active.
YOU aren't comfortable with 80C thermals, but it is. I've seen so many threads bring up this number, that it must be true; this is the cpu's comfort zone.
At that point, who knows best: you, or the cpu?

Well the cpu knows best for sure, il just get the 3 new fans and re-apply thermal paste for now. ( 2 new at front and 1 new at top ) maybe it will change the thermals ( hope so.. )

But I just bought the dark rock 4 because of the case compatibility of the case :C!

yeh the soc and temperature never gets to red anyway just the other ones.

but what about reaching the 7100 cinebench scores? guess the 100 points would not make much of a difference

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well the cpu knows best for sure, il just get the 3 new fans and re-apply thermal paste for now. ( 2 new at front and 1 new at top ) maybe it will change the thermals ( hope so.. )
It should - if the cpu doesn't try to boost higher as a result! LOL!

but what about reaching the 7100 cinebench scores? guess the 100 points would not make much of a difference
Not really, no.

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I just built a 3900x system last week, MSI X570 mobo, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, 2060 Nvidia rtx, 2x 1 TB SSDs. I tinkered around with voltages and think I finally found the sweet spot of performance and stability with a negative 0.1000v offset in bios. I have air cooling too
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

and my temps are relatively low, idles in low-mid 30s, maxes out at 76 C after 10 hours run of Prime 95. Cinebench R20 multicore score around 7300

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
I just built a 3900x system last week, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, 2060 Nvidia rtx, 2x 1 TB SSDs. I tinkered around with voltages and think I finally found the sweet spot of performance and stability with a negative 0.1000v offset in bios. I have less high end air cooling than yours but my temps are relatively low, idles in low-mid 30s, maxes out at 76 C after 10 hours run of Prime 95. Cinebench multicore score around 7300

what motherboard?

Those are awesome temps..I just purchased 3 new fans, currently playing a 1.2v and 4050 Clock and temps don't pass 50º ( playing league) temps go to 76 77º on rendering.

il try that offset -0,1, what clock speed you running?

Jul 13, 2020
MSI X570 Gaming Plus. I'm just running the default clock speeds. Seems to average around 4.1

oh that cooler is way better then dark rock 4 i reckon yeh guess my clocks runs at 3.9 at stock don't know why, guess I have alot of testing to do :) thanks alot for your valuable input!

how did you apply your thermal paste if I can ask :)?

Reactions: beorn