Xeroshock

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hi,

I have 3 SP120 Quiet (3 pin) fans installed in my case and they are great. They run quiet and the temps seem to be fine.
However they do seem to always run at a rather low speed, between 400 and 500 rpm to be exact.

Now I know there is no way to control these fan speeds with a controller since they are 3 pin. Is there a way to control these in the BIOS?

I can't find anything about these fans having heat sensors either - so I'm not sure if they just don't speed spin faster because they do not need to. If they do run at this RPM because the temps don't need to to run faster then that's fine. I just want to be on the safe side.

Lutfij

Titan
You can voltage control them using a discrete fan controller. If the fans are connected off the motherboard header then the board needs to have voltage regulation on the header. Most boards will have PWM only while others will have a 4 pin connector that can still work either as a PWM header or a Voltage regulated 3 pin header.

You will need to mention the make and model of your motherboard and how the fans are connected in your system.

Xeroshock

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
I never changed mine when I had them , very quite case fans.

I don't necessarily intend to change the fan speed. I am just wondering if they regulate the speed themselves (or by the mobo). I've tried a few heavy games and have not really seem them spin fans (unless I'm blind).

You can voltage control them using a discrete fan controller. If the fans are connected off the motherboard header then the board needs to have voltage regulation on the header. Most boards will have PWM only while others will have a 4 pin connector that can still work either as a PWM header or a Voltage regulated 3 pin header.

You will need to mention the make and model of your motherboard and how the fans are connected in your system.

I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming Wifi motherboard and the 3 fans are connected to 3 4pin headers on the mobo (sys_fan1, sys_fan2a and sys_fan3 _pump). The CPU has an AOI cooler which has another 3 fans.

Corsair SP Series fans are available with or without a controller.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181117

Controller: 3 button (Effect speed, color, mode)/Effect speed: high, medium, slow/color: White, red, Orange, yellow, Green, Blue, violet, demo/ mode: static, Breathing, pulse, Breathing + pulse

Does that work with these fans though?
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-SP12...20+quiet&qid=1551807208&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

Xeroshock

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Should be able to set a fan profile in the BIOS. It would be based off the temperature read by a sensor on the motherboard.

Yes, this is what I was wondering. So if these fans just don't spin faster then 500rpm they just don't need to because the temps are too low? I'm assuming in that case there's no point in increasing fan speed anyway?

Xeroshock

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Well I have no idea what the fan profile is currently set at. But yeah, if you already have decent airflow your motherboard temp sensor isn't going to heat up much so the fan speed won't vary much.

I'd have to check the BIOS later today when I get home. I have not altered any of the settings though.

I'll also check on the motherboard temps.

Thanks for the replies!