4 (1gb) cards vs 2 (2gb) card

bamrocket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I have a pretty basic question about memory. I'm building my first computer, which I'm planning to use to play games like WoW and Spore. However I am also planning to run OSx86 to run Mac OSX.

In any case I was wondering which is best for gaming, 4(1gb) memory cards or 2(2gb) cards? I have heard having 4 is best, but I wanted to check the validity of this.

The answer is it depends on the game and the resolution you are planning to run it at. For example WoW isn't particularly demanding, though the WoTLK expansion is definitely more stressful on graphics than earlier versions. I haven't played Spore, but the graphics also seem rather cartoonish (simply an observation, not a judgement), and therefore shouldn't be that demanding either. So I wouldn't be inclined to spend an awful lot of money on multiple GPU's for these games. Rather, a single good card should be plenty.

If you were playing something like Crysis, which is VERY demanding, then you would have more to think about since this game, and some of the newest RTS and shooters can and do bring multi-gpu setups to their knees at higher resolutions.

Speaking of resolution... This is the other main consideration: What size/pixel count is your monitor? Playing a 24" at 19x12 is much more difficult for a GPU to drive than a 20" at 16x10.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm not convinced sure there's a difference between running 4x1GB OR 2x2GB assuming your running both in dual channel mode and they're all the same speed.

I mean running more memory doesn't make your computer faster, it just makes it more efficient. It becomes less dependant on virtual memory from your hard drive which in turn your hard drive last longer because of the reduced wear and tear on the hard drive motor. Also, it's more efficient because your virtual memory means your swapping the fastest connection between the CPU and the RAM with the slowest connection between the CPU and the Hard Drive.

If I were in your shoes though, I would go with 2x2GB because if your running a 64-Bit OS, you've got the option of going to 4x2GB for a total of 8 GB of Ram later on.

IMHO of course...

AJ

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

I agree... less voltage required = less heat. Other then that I would think they are similar.

G

also chances are 4 X 1GB sticks are slower as they timing might have to be lessoned slightly to make sure they are all stable