40 C at Idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
ok i removed the paste and started over this time following the instructions on the arctic silver site and i know i put the right amount on this time, im getting 38 average in the bios. Should i just wait for it to burn in or what?

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Hey after reseating with less thermal paste, and also managing some airflow, im pushing 31 in windows. Thanks for everyones help, i appreciate it.

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I get 40 deg on my 920 at idle w/ as5 and 9500. However, keep in mind your cpu will always be running hotter than ambient...I opened my window one day and let some cold air in, and it dropped to like 32 at idle.

From what i noticed about the zalman is its great at really limiting fluctuations under load (other coolers probably do the same...) as opposed to the stock fan that would allow 30 degree shifts sometimes (in deg C). I havent seen a 50 deg temp yet with the zalman.

To those people who say they get under 30 degrees, your ambient temperatures must be lower....plain and simple. If your in a cold room (~60 deg F) or a warm room (75 deg F) youll notice different cpu temps.

Just keep in mind these factors when you blurt out your cpu temp. I mean, there are people who claim to get 25 deg C with air cooling. 25 deg C corresponds to about 75 deg F, or room temperature. Laws of thermodynamics are broken if their ambient temp is 25 degrees as well (the heat of the chip HAS to be going somewhere!!! and SOME of it will be absorbed in the immediate surroundings)

Anyways...if there is any point to all this, when people are making cpu temp comparisions, they should be giving their Room temp as well.

40 deg C for a chip is most likely normal in a 25 deg C room. However, in a 20 deg C room youll probably see temps in the low to mid 30s. Either way thats a cool chip....and the zalman is doing its job.