Question 400 ft. cat cable connection

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
I have a PTZ camera on a pole along a highway 400 ft. from my house. The connection was OK with a 1080p camera but now I have a 4k camera and I need a better connection. Here's my question. Since I have separate wires for the camera's power (it's not POE), I have four wires in the cat cable that aren't being used. Would it help my connection if I took the four unused wires and connected each one in parallel to each of the four being used? I know that would allow twice as much DC to be carried over a power cable but would doubling the wires for a data cable improve the connection? Is there anything else I can do?

A single ethernet run is limited to 100 meters or ~330 feet. You cannot change this short of placing an active repeater in the span, which will itself require power. In addition, it appears that you are equating twisting the ends of two pieces of wire to doubling the power carrying capacity. This couldn't be further from the truth. If you want to carry more current for a longer distance then the entire conductor must be increased in diameter for the entire length of the run. 400 feet is a very long way to try and run a low voltage DC supply.

Reactions: punkncat

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
A single ethernet run is limited to 100 meters or ~330 feet. You cannot change this short of placing an active repeater in the span, which will itself require power. In addition, it appears that you are equating twisting the ends of two pieces of wire to doubling the power carrying capacity. This couldn't be further from the truth. If you want to carry more current for a longer distance then the entire conductor must be increased in diameter for the entire length of the run. 400 feet is a very long way to try and run a low voltage DC supply.
Thanks. That's why I mentioned DC voltage. I didn't know if it worked the same way with data and I could get a better connection with a second set of wires.

Does it actually work at that distance. as mentioned you are way over the limit.
Is your problem you just need more power or do you need it to run above 100mbps.

To run gbit it needs to run all 4 pair.

What you are talking about doing is all going to be non standard so it is all going to be trial and error to see if it works with your particular equipment.

So some basic stuff that may help you decided what you can do.

Ethernet at the very minimum needs 2 pair of wires. In most cases this is only used for ethernet no power on these wires. This can leave the other 4 wires to carry power. There are many proprietary solutions to doing POE.

The standard form of poe is called 802.3at or 802.3af. The main difference is how much power they can provide.

Both these are "active" protocols and do not provide power unless requested. This is because they run at 48 volts and 48 volts will damage equipment not designed to receive it. The reason they use 48 volts is because they can get the same watts of power using less amperage. This is done mostly to allow POE to run the same 100 meter limit of a ethernet cable.

Almost all other forms of POE run lower voltages but they provide the power continuously. This lower voltage makes it less likely you fry equipment if you accidentally plug it in to device not designed for poe. The main problem is these type of systems tend to have much shorter distance. Some of the 12volt systems can only run 100 feet rather than 100 meters.

Some options I have see discussed by others on this forum with similar issues with distance.
At this very moment I can not find the link but there is a switch that can run on POE power and then power a second POE device. This is the standard 802.3 form of poe so your cameras would have to be compatible. Using this switch you can get 200 meters distance. The problem is how do you place a switch say in the middle of a field and not have it damaged by weather. Burying it in a water proof case and hoping it does not overheat might work.

The more common method would be to use solar panels and a battery system and then use point to point wifi to connect back to the main location. I guess you could also use solar and batery to provide power and run a fiber to pass the data if you were concerned about wifi.

Reactions: lantis3

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
Does it actually work at that distance. as mentioned you are way over the limit.
Is your problem you just need more power or do you need it to run above 100mbps.

What you are talking about doing is all going to be non standard so it is all going to be trial and error to see if it works with your particular equipment.

Ethernet at the very minimum needs 2 pair of wires. In most cases this is only used for ethernet no power on these wires. This can leave the other 4 wires to carry power. There are many proprietary solutions to doing POE.

The standard form of poe is called 802.3at or 802.3af. The main difference is how much power they can provide.

Both these are "active" protocols and do not provide power unless requested. This is because they run at 48 volts and 48 volts will damage equipment not designed to receive it. The reason they use 48 volts is because they can get the same watts of power using less amperage. This is done mostly to allow POE to run the same 100 meter limit of a ethernet cable.

Almost all other forms of POE run lower voltages but they provide the power continuously. This lower voltage makes it less likely you fry equipment if you accidentally plug it in to device not designed for poe. The main problem is these type of systems tend to have much shorter distance. Some of the 12volt systems can only run 100 feet rather than 100 meters.

Some options I have see discussed by others on this forum with similar issues with distance.
At this very moment I can not find the link but there is a switch that can run on POE power and then power a second POE device. This is the standard 802.3 form of poe so your cameras would have to be compatible. Using this switch you can get 200 meters distance. The problem is how do you place a switch say in the middle of a field and not have it damaged by weather. Burying it in a water proof case and hoping it does not overheat might work.

The more common method would be to use solar panels and a battery system and then use point to point wifi to connect back to the main location. I guess you could also use solar and batery to provide power and run a fiber to pass the data if you were concerned about wifi.
Again, I am not using POE. I have a separate 2-conductor cable that supplies 12v to the camera. It's 4k so I need about 34-50Mbps from what I've read. How about this? Uses only two wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Extender-2000ft-Twisted-Copper/dp/B0BKPBQNKX

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You will have to forgive as there has been many years since I installed these, but there is a wireless setup you can do where the sender and receiver are these small squares that can work for extremely long distances. All you need at the point of install is power. For some reason I am drawing a blank where it comes to exactly what the model/info was.

Reactions: 867-5309

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022

I'm not using POE.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Have you considered optical? Kind of the same installation concept. with an active converter at either end. A bit more expensive, but not much chance of anything going wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Si...643563b317bb46e56f41b666c93&gad_source=1&th=1

In looking at the various cable options that those transceivers have options for, anywhere from $120-200 for a 150m length.
5V 1A power required.

EobxXW3.png

Again, I am not using POE. I have a separate 2-conductor cable that supplies 12v to the camera. It's 4k so I need about 34-50Mbps from what I've read. How about this? Uses only two wires.

Those devices are a form of private DSL. Hard to say how fast they really run the longer the cable the slower they get. They talk about 92mbps maximum with less over longer distances. They do not even give a example of the speed at say 1000 ft which is half the distance. Makes devices like this very suspect.

You now have a additional box that now needs power. You likely already have issues running enough power over the thin wires used by ethernet you now need even more.

Although you say you are not using POE that is more of a technicality. You are still trying to obtain power over a ethernet cable, you are just trying to invent your own. There are massive issue with power loss over long distances.

Do you already have the ethernet cable run. Can you start over with another solution.

So best option is going to be to run a fiber than then use some kind of small solar panel and battery. There are massive number of security cameras that already have solar panels and you see this solution used all over the place for cameras they use along the highway.

If not consider running some thicker wire that will not get so much power loss at those long distance. There are charts that will tell you how much voltage drop you get per foot at different voltage levels.

I would still use a fiber solution no matter how you get your power issue solved. Fiber will give you full gigabit speeds and no issues with weather.

Reactions: lantis3

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I'm not using POE. I need 50Mbps data to go 400ft.

You can't achieve what you want with your current setup. There is no 50Mbps link. It's either 10Mbps, 100Mbps or gigabits. There is nothing in between. Ethernet devices can only negotiate at these rates and establish a link.

Let's say vendors only make pipes with 1", 3" or 5" in diameter, but nothing in between. You can't use pipes with different diameters and expect them to connect.

Reddit comments

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetwor...=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Last edited:

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
Probably the best and cheap solution.

POE over coaxial cable. A POE switch with transmitter and receiver.

Up to 100Mbps , 1000ft and 11w

https://linovision.com/products/poe...-bt-90w-poe-switch-kit?variant=43960448188636

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0cOgsbkfY
I would have to buy all that cable and then dig a new trench all the way to the camera, so no, I can't do that.
I think this is the solution.

867-5309

Commendable
Jun 3, 2022
How do you supply the power for this big adapter then?

Z5PB0O7.png

Or you want to use solar panel as suggested?
The unit at the camera would get its 12v from the camera power supply. I have a 2-conductor power wire that goes to the camera. It's a separate wire from the CAT cable. That's why I don't use POE. I can't put a POE type booster with a power supply in the middle of a field.