Question 4070 ti and ryzen 7 5800x Low Gpu and Cpu Usages

Jun 6, 2023
My Pc : (Recently upgraded from a 1660 super and Ryzen 5 3600)
GPU : PNY Verto 4070 Ti
CPU : Ryzen 7 5800x
MOTHERBOARD : MSI B550M PRO
PSU : 750W GOLD 80+ MONTECH
RAM : KLEVV 3200MHZ 8 X 2 16GB
with a 256 gig ssd and 1tb hdd
CPU COOLER : DeepCool AK500

So I have been having these issues for a couple of days now. My GPU and CPU usages are very low on certain games. To name a few of these games are GTA V, Battlefield 2042, Raft, and Apex Legends. For example, on Battlefield 2042 my cpu usage is usually 80% and my GPU usage is 50% on 1080p optimized settings, on Raft my GPU usage might dip to the low 40s up to 70s % with my CPU usage on 30%, and on gta v my GPU usage might go up to 95% but they fluctuate a lot and my CPU usage is bound to 40%. But for other games like Forza 5, FIFA, atomic heart, and Overwatch 2 I can expect my GPU to run at >95% usage. I haven't been able to fix this issue for a couple of days, changing the resolution to 1440p does increase its usage but on certain games that usage also dips to low percentages (50 - 70). I've monitored my temps and tried overclocking, it doesn't seem to be helping the gpu/cpu usage and the temps are fine so I don't think that it's thermal throttling. Just for additional information, I undervolted my CPU, and I've enabled the XMP settings on my bios. I've modified my power plan to ultimate performance and modified my Nvidia settings. I've also updated my amd chipset driver to its latest version, and I've updated my bios, and graphics driver. Don't know what else to install/update here. Thank you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like simply a case of where the additional CPU and GPU processing capacity isn't needed for the game settings you have in place. Increasing the game graphics "eye candy" and such should address that.

Be sure you also update the AMD chipset and Nvidia video drivers to the latest version.

What is the refresh rate of your monitor? Do you have Gsync/Freesync? Are they enabled in each game? If not are you using Vsync? Is it enabled in each game? Any of the afore mentioned things will limit framerates once they reach monitor refresh, causing what you are seeing AND THAT IS FINE. You are not benchmarking but playing games. You don't want 100% component usage despite what you see elsewhere (those people are either benchmarking or flexing needlessly). Unless you are running at 244Hz+ with framerates to match you will get screen tearing and visible hitching running unsynced. If you are a world class competetive Esports player then yes, unsync for that tiny latency advantage but otherwise leave things as they are for the best visuals.

(To add a less possible limiter on AMD systems can be RAM speed. Ensure you are in dual channel mode, and that RAM is running at it's specified speed. Zen3 loves 3600Mhz+)

Jun 6, 2023
What is the refresh rate of your monitor? Do you have Gsync/Freesync? Are they enabled in each game? If not are you using Vsync? Is it enabled in each game? Any of the afore mentioned things will limit framerates once they reach monitor refresh, causing what you are seeing AND THAT IS FINE. You are not benchmarking but playing games. You don't want 100% component usage despite what you see elsewhere (those people are either benchmarking or flexing needlessly). Unless you are running at 244Hz+ with framerates to match you will get screen tearing and visible hitching running unsynced. If you are a world class competetive Esports player then yes, unsync for that tiny latency advantage but otherwise leave things as they are for the best visuals.

(To add a less possible limiter on AMD systems can be RAM speed. Ensure you are in dual channel mode, and that RAM is running at it's specified speed. Zen3 loves 3600Mhz+)
So I have a 1080p 144hz monitor with G sync, I don't enable v sync on any of my games. I do have G-SYNC enabled on my NVIDIA control panel, and yes my ram is in dual-channel mode. My main issue is that on certain games my fps actually dips below 144. For example, in raft my GPU usage could sometimes fluctuate from 70 to 40 percent and the fps would drop to 100.

Last edited:
So I have a 1080p 144hz monitor with G sync, I don't enable v sync on any of my games. I do have G-SYNC enabled on my NVIDIA control panel, and yes my ram is in dual-channel mode. My main issue is that on certain games my fps actually dips below 144. For example, in raft my GPU usage could sometimes fluctuate from 70 to 40 percent and the fps would drop to 100.
Monitor your CPU usage per core while simultaneously monitoring GPU utilization. See if the dips in GPU usage correlate to any peaks above 90-95% on any core. This will indicate a bit of CPU limitation. It's not unusual, nor is there anything to be done about it. Component load varies by the complexity of the rendered image, as well as any physics calculations, loading of assets etc. Background tasks can also have an effect. If everything seems fine, then it's probably just the way the cookie crumbles. Modern GPU's, especially the current midrange offerings are often memory bandwidth starved. There is the small, very unlikely possibility this is what you are observing here.

Jun 6, 2023
Monitor your CPU usage per core while simultaneously monitoring GPU utilization. See if the dips in GPU usage correlate to any peaks above 90-95% on any core. This will indicate a bit of CPU limitation. It's not unusual, nor is there anything to be done about it. Component load varies by the complexity of the rendered image, as well as any physics calculations, loading of assets etc. Background tasks can also have an effect. If everything seems fine, then it's probably just the way the cookie crumbles. Modern GPU's, especially the current midrange offerings are often memory bandwidth starved. There is the small, very unlikely possibility this is what you are observing here.
Ok, so I've checked the games that I've had trouble with. GPU-Z just told me that on games like Raft my GPU usage is capped because it is considered to be 'idle', with both CPU and GPU still on low usage. I don't know what settings I've modified, but now my CPU is clocking at 95% on Battlefield 2042 and is bottlenecking my GPU. On apex legends, again my GPU and CPU usage is low only about 60% GPU and 50% CPU, the perfcarp reason listed as 'Vrel'. I'm still confused about why my GPU is not trying to reach any higher clocks, is overclocking my GPU actually affecting its ability to amp up its voltage? To add when reaching the perf cap 'vRel' my card is only using about 40ish% of TDP

To be clear, you need to observe the graphs yourself to correlate the dips/spikes. These can happen for only hundredths of a second and may not even be obvious without setting a fast polling rate which is not advisable, as it introduces some serious CPU overhead skewing the results. The reason will always be VREL or Idle the like, same for the CPU in whatever terms are used for the current power limit. One component will always be the bottleneck, if not all the time. They can trade places. This is normal. Without observing your system in action it sounds as though everything is running as intended. I'd stop chasing zebras here and just run the system.

(Edit: To add. If this is a change from previous behavior consider that an update, or other software you have installed may be the culprit. Try to remember any changes you have made, or when updates were installed. Observe background tasks via Task Manager to see what is using CPU resources while you game. This is not an exact science and you may not find a solution here. Best of luck.)

Reactions: radityo_kc