Question 4070 ti super crashes under load, but only when the glass cover is on the case

Jul 31, 2024
I recently switched from a gtx 1650 super to an rtx 4070 ti super, also changed my psu to a 850 watt psu. Now whenever i play any graphically intensive games, my gpu crashes after about 15 minutes. But if the glass cover is off it works just fine.

My theory right now is that it’s overheating, anyone got any other ideas? and if it’s overheating, what should i do to reduce overheating?

things i’ve tried:
using ddu and reinstalling driver
reinstalling games
testing out different ram
using windows memory tester

Now whenever i play any graphically intensive games, my gpu crashes after about 15 minutes. But if the glass cover is off it works just fine.

My theory right now is that it’s overheating, anyone got any other ideas? and if it’s overheating, what should i do to reduce overheating?

I think you have the right idea that your hot boxing your GPU so yes having the glass off fixes that . What case are you using and can you post a link so maybe one of us can give solution and advice. :)

Welcome.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Am I correct in suspecting that all the intake air has to be sucked through the tiny perforated triangles in the front panel? If so, then yes it’s an airflow issue.

Jul 31, 2024
Am I correct in suspecting that all the intake air has to be sucked through the tiny perforated triangles in the front panel? If so, then yes it’s an airflow issue.
there are slits inbetween the glass panels in the front, but you’re probably right, any idea what i could do to get better airflow?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Can you remove the front panel so that the three fans in the front have good access to the outside world? That would be ideal, and hopefully let you close the side panel.

alright i managed to take the glass plate off, do you think this will work?
image here: View: https://imgur.com/a/ktuKZRl

it should run cooler with no way for it to intake air its just a glass case with a laughable small air hole to breath threw.

you could put some 120mm fans in the top

the one to rear of case near the top as exaust the one at the front top as intake.

also recomend a better tower cooler this should fit your case

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...-49-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&th=1

Jul 31, 2024
Looks promising. Give it a run and report back on how it goes.
Played helldivers 2 with ultra graphics settings for about 2 hours and had no real issues except for frame drops at times. this seems to have solved the problem.

i’m thinking of putting tape over the holes that are beside the mesh, as those just lead straight into the case, would this be a good idea or is there a better way to do this