Nov 8, 2020
Hi, I'm currently running a 4670k at a stable 4.4ghz and was wondering if it's worth dropping in 4790k now that they are around £100.

The rest of my system is:
AS Rock Z87 Pro4
32gb RipJaw DDR3 2133 (overkill I know but it was an extremely cheap 2nd hand deal)
Rx 5700
3 X SSD

I mainly game and the way things are at the moment I can't really afford a full system upgrade.

Would the extra threads really make any difference?

Solution
For under £65, an i7-4790K would be a pretty decent upgrade considering the situation. The thing about this particular upgrade, is that that less money spent would obviously better, but doing a full upgrade to another platform would end up costing you more in the long run, because you will probably be wanting another upgrade within 2 years. That upgrade might require another full platform upgrade if you had bought a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 motherboard. The Ryzen 5 2600 would be a terrible upgrade, because it's actually a side-grade, with it being per core as fast or slightly slower than a 4770K or 4790K.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a good CPU, but compared to an i7-4790K, it's only around 15-30% faster depending on the game and the DDR4 ram...
Hi, I'm currently running a 4670k at a stable 4.4ghz and was wondering if it's worth dropping in 4790k now that they are around £100.

AS Rock Z87 Pro4
32gb RipJaw DDR3 2133 (overkill I know but it was an extremely cheap 2nd hand deal)
Rx 5700
3 X SSD

I mainly game and the way things are at the moment I can't really afford a full system upgrade.

Well you can do that and considering you get 8t it will perform better but i don't think it's worth put it in your system when you build it imo

Reactions: Noisey_Boy
The extra threads will help but it’s not a big upgrade and will depend on the game. How much can you get for the 4670k? I would not pay £100 for the small upgrade between those CPU’s. If you can get it under £50 by selling your 4670k then maybe. Ultimately it’s a small upgrade and there is a good chance you will find yourself wanting to upgrade to a modern cpu/RAM/motherboard combination in the near future.

It will make difference, but whether it's worth it is a more complicated question.
So ~111 euro? Where I live, I can find an i3-9100F for 40-60 euro, and, unless we put the 4790k in >4,7 GHz, the 9100F with its just 4 threads will outperform the 4790k (a bit). A cheap mobo and 12-16 GB ram may fit it in the 111 euro-mark total. 9100F doesn't have integrated graphics, though, but for ppl with a dedicated GPU it rarely matters.
And like guys say, it is also game-dependent, though you will manage (I guess) to go above 4,4 GHz per core without too much temperature and this also to help a little. If you insist on going this way, a 4770k may be found at a better dollar-per-performance gain ratio.

Bearing in mind what a mess overclocking can be, nothing can be called a really worth upgrade for your motherboard, actually. If they lower prices more, it might become a worth thing after time, but the majority of sellers simply don't realize that the newer i3 and i5 are seriously better than the older i7, at lower prices.

Last edited:
For under £65, an i7-4790K would be a pretty decent upgrade considering the situation. The thing about this particular upgrade, is that that less money spent would obviously better, but doing a full upgrade to another platform would end up costing you more in the long run, because you will probably be wanting another upgrade within 2 years. That upgrade might require another full platform upgrade if you had bought a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 motherboard. The Ryzen 5 2600 would be a terrible upgrade, because it's actually a side-grade, with it being per core as fast or slightly slower than a 4770K or 4790K.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a good CPU, but compared to an i7-4790K, it's only around 15-30% faster depending on the game and the DDR4 ram speed and timing. You would be spending 3-4x more for a full platform upgrade right now compared to just upgrading to an i7 and saving up for longer to buy a full upgrade in a year or two.

I recommend trying to get at minimum an i7 4770(K) or 4790(K) for under £65 and saving up to buy a new platform in 1-2 years.

Solution
Complete waste of money. Any performance gain will be extremely minimal, if detectable at all to the naked eye
Going from 4 cores 4 threads to 4 cores 8 threads will allow games to run much smoother if they stutter or run poorly on lower thread counts. Games like Assasins Creed, Battlefield 5, Far Cry 5, Grand Theft Auto 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 or Watch Dogs 2 run much faster and or smoother with 6+cores/threads. We don't know what software they run or games they play, so we don't know how much benefit they will gain from 4 more threads. It's the OP's decision in the end.

You might look into the xeon chips 2nd hand : https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/Z87_Pro4.html
If your not overclocking these are good choice when you want to save some money, some are 4 core 8 thread aswell with slightly lower clock speeds. Maxing out multiplier and tweaking the blck can get you up to 3.6-3.7ghz on all cores (depends)

When you select the processor base clock frequency means all core speed, turbo boost doesnt affect all cores. Might even be less thasn 50$/50 euro if you find a good deal for xeon. Update bios to latest before swapping the cpu to be sure.

If you like overclockign then go i7 you will get more performance

You might look into the xeon chips 2nd hand : https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/Z87_Pro4.html
If you are not overclocking these are good choice when you want to save some money, some are 4 core 8 thread as well with slightly lower clock speeds. Maxing out multiplier and tweaking the blck can get you up to 3.6-3.7ghz on all cores (depends)

When you select the processor base clock frequency means all core speed, turbo boost doesnt affect all cores. Might even be less thasn 50$/50 euro if you find a good deal for xeon. Update bios to latest before swapping the cpu to be sure.

If you like overclockign then go i7 you will get more performance

For a moment the thought of Xeons came to my mind, but the max. speed the OP can get with a Xeon is 4,1 GHz if he locks it with the z87-motherboard, and that's all - a lower performance per core than what he already has with the overclocked i5-4670k. This means even worse, unless the games played are optimized enough for >4 cores.
This would make more sense for s.o. like me with my i5-4690 as I see Xeons for 70-75 euro sometimes and it could get some gain if the game is really that well optimized for this, but this is limited. These i7s and xeons are all just hyperthreaders, not 8 pure (physical) cores, so no miracles here.

tweaking the blck
I don't like this idea.

Might even be less thsn 50$/50 euro if you find a good deal for xeon.
What? Where? My i5-4690 costed 50 euro, though ~8 months ago, an unused cpu.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
For a moment the thought of Xeons came to my mind, but the max. speed the OP can get with a Xeon is 4,1 GHz if he locks it with the z87-motherboard, and that's all - a lower performance per core than what he already has with the overclocked i5-4670k. This means even worse, unless the games played are optimized enough for >4 cores.
This would make more sense for s.o. like me with my i5-4690 as I see Xeons for 70-75 euro sometimes and it could get some gain if the game is really that well optimized for this, but this is limited. These i7s and xeons are all just hyperthreaders, not 8 pure (physical) cores, so no miracles here.

I don't like this idea.

What? Where? My i5-4690 costed 50 euro, though ~8 months ago, an unused cpu.

I gain about 30% or more fps with gen 1 or 2 intel processsors in most games if i compare hyperthreading on / off with 4 core 8 thread cpu. But your right about single core performance being worse, looking further it seems like the multiplier (for xeon) is locked 36 for all cores meaning 100blck x 36 = 3600mhz and after that he would need to increase the BLCK.

I was looking for 2nd hand e3-1230v3 and found around 70 euro deals including shipping, i meant if op keeps looking for some time im sure he will find one for 50 euro

EDIT: and i agree going above 8 threads or cores isnt really necresssary for gaming, people buy 12 core 24 thread processors and then use about 1/3rd its funny

AS Rock Z87 Pro4
Rx 5700
3 X SSD

Im actually still running that same memory set (if its this https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-240-Pin-Desktop-F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH/dp/B007IW895Q )
paired with first gen i7-870 , i7-875k and also xeon x3470 with different build. I got it running at 2400mhz with abit slower timings and 1.65v dram voltage / 1.25vtt.
Only x3470 supported 32gb of ram but i couldnt get it stable even at xmp timings 32gb so i removed 2 sticks and its beating 2133mhz ddr4 even in benhcmarks.