Question 4GB(3GB usable)

Mar 17, 2019
Okay I know that system itself needs some memory to work but just before I increased my RAM (from 3 to 4gb) it was just 3GB nothing more
Now when I added this new ram stick it always lowers the RAM by one (eg 3GB(2GB available)) except when it is by itself

64bit Win7
RAM:1x kingston kvr800d2n6/2g
1xkingston kvr800d2n6/1g
And another not-kingston one
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019
Win7 64bit
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L
CPU: Pentium DualCore E6300 2.80 GHz
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670
RAM: 1xKingston KVR800d2n6/2G, 1x Kingston kvr800d2n6/1G and 1x GEIL 1GB PC2-6400(or something)

Before I had 3x1GB sticks and it was just 3GB
Now, after I added 2GB it lowers it by one, except when it is on its own
eg.
if i have just 2GB stick in it will say 2GB
but when i add any other 1GB stick with it it says 3/4GB(2/3GB usable)

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard User's Manual:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep31-ds3l_2.0_e.pdf

First, verify that I have indeed identified the correct/applicable User's Manual.

Second, read and refer to Chapter 1-4, Page 16. The objective is to match your current configuration with the supported memory configurations.

Likely a RAM misconfiguration with respect to both the memory modules being used and/or how those memory modules are installed.

And I do recommend that you read the entire User's Manual - there may be other configuration settings that need to be changed.

Key is to identify, if at all possible, some specific configuration error or hardware mismatch.

No need to immediately just start making changes. Verify the need, determine what specific change is needed, and change only one thing at a time. Keep notes in case you need to go back and undo some change that makes things worse.

Reactions: Dango3241
Mar 17, 2019
Motherboard User's Manual:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep31-ds3l_2.0_e.pdf

First, verify that I have indeed identified the correct/applicable User's Manual.

Second, read and refer to Chapter 1-4, Page 16. The objective is to match your current configuration with the supported memory configurations.

Likely a RAM misconfiguration with respect to both the memory modules being used and/or how those memory modules are installed.

And I do recommend that you read the entire User's Manual - there may be other configuration settings that need to be changed.

Key is to identify, if at all possible, some specific configuration error or hardware mismatch.

No need to immediately just start making changes. Verify the need, determine what specific change is needed, and change only one thing at a time. Keep notes in case you need to go back and undo some change that makes things worse.
It's a 2x2 slot motherboard
And if you out more than 2GB in the first pair it just doesn't work
Old Mobo...