[SOLVED] 4k@60Hz through USB-C

Oct 22, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a Huawei Matebook X with a single USB-C out port, and am trying to connect it to two monitors, one at 4k@60Hz and another at 1080@60Hz.

When I use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, I manage 4k@60Hz, however this doesn't suffice since I also have the second monitor and peripherals. Hence I need a USB-C hub, however the moment I introduce a hub, I only get 4k@30Hz. Even a top-of-the range hub such as this which advertises 4k@60Hz only does 4k@30Hz with my laptop, and I have tried 3 other similar hubs which all fail to do 4k@60Hz. (I'm using DP to DP when connecting hub to monitor)

I don't understand why connecting directly to my laptop gives 60Hz but when I introduce a hub that is advertised to pass through 60Hz it fails...

Would appreciate some help!

Solution
Theoretically, there could be - and given the hub specifically states "only one video output", I suspected if you had the single display connected and no peripherals, it should still pass through 4K/60. Clearly not the case.

Writeup on the topic found here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MatebookXPro/comments/auafyh/overview_connect_your_matebook_to_an_external/

Looks to be, because of the presence of USB, the output is not dedicating all lanes to DisplayPort... which is pretty much what I expected (although I thought those lanes wouldn't be 'reserved', only when in use).

TB3 dock should achieve what you need, but they're pricey (although less pricey than the time the writeup was...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't understand why connecting directly to my laptop gives 60Hz but when I introduce a hub that is advertised to pass through 60Hz it fails...

Bandwidth, probably.

Do you drop to 4K/30Hz when connected only to a single display via the hub?

From the product notes:

1. Only one video output is supported at a time.

So it should pass through 4K/60Hz as the only display connected.

2. Available with select PC models (with support for DisplayPort Alt-Mode 1.3 & above standard) when connected to displays that offer 4K resolution at 60Hz. Otherwise, default
resolution will be 4K at 30Hz.

Give you can go straight USB-C to DP at 60Hz, your device's USB port can do it, but it's going to depend on the standard implemented whether it can do 4K/60Hz + peripherals.

Oct 22, 2020
Thanks for the reponse Barty.

Indeed I dropped to 4k@30Hz even when connected to a single display. Is there really a difference in hardware standard that distinguishes supporting 4k@60Hz and 4k@60Hz + peripherals? I'm hoping that it's some sort of software/driver issue since the former doesn't seem too likely (judging by the fact that it works direct, I can assume the port supports Alt-Mode 1.3+)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Theoretically, there could be - and given the hub specifically states "only one video output", I suspected if you had the single display connected and no peripherals, it should still pass through 4K/60. Clearly not the case.

Writeup on the topic found here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MatebookXPro/comments/auafyh/overview_connect_your_matebook_to_an_external/

Looks to be, because of the presence of USB, the output is not dedicating all lanes to DisplayPort... which is pretty much what I expected (although I thought those lanes wouldn't be 'reserved', only when in use).

TB3 dock should achieve what you need, but they're pricey (although less pricey than the time the writeup was done).

Solution
Oct 22, 2020
Many thanks again, the lane configuration info is very interesting.

For any future readers, since the Matebook X (non Pro) does not support TB3, only option 2 applies (very expensive though). Only having a single DP1.3 USB-C port turns out to be too restrictive :(