4K Gaming - GPU recommendations with a twist...

JestersRevenge

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
I purchased a 4K TV for use with my PS4 Pro and my gaming PC. I only use the PC for MMO gaming. My current GPU is about five years old and I'm looking to upgrade. I'd certainly like the prettier visuals but, would it be possible to "over spend" on a GPU for a genre which isn't all that graphically or FPS intensive (as a general rule) and isn't natively 4K?

Of course something like Star Citizen is the outlier, but generally, what would be a wise, single card, purchase is this situation? Thank you.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
on 4k tv gaming you would want to get gtx 970 or its modern equivalent from nvidia or amd, no more powerful card needed for tv. (as no tv have display port to my knowledge and gtx 970 is plenty for 30hz 4k tv.

JestersRevenge

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Thank you for the response. The TV I purchased is 120Hz (not sure if that makes a difference) and obviously has the HDMI ports. I've seen Display Port and Dual DVI to HDMI connections / cords. I suppose as long as the GPU has those ports, I'd be okay with the higher resolutions.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
they tell you it's 120hz 4k tv but that is unreaslistic and flat out lie for 120hz at 4k. think hdmi 2.0b has max 60hz for 4k, same with display port 1.4. those are cutting edge technology. Anything more over 60hz at 4k is false at this present time. will they achive it later, maybe, maybe not, as display port is more obsessed with 8k at this point and more resolution not focusing on refresh rate. when they say 120hz 4k tv, if you really think about it they didn't exactly say 4k at 120hz, did they? they said this tv is 4k. check. 120hz at 1080p or 720p check.

Depending on the mmo's you play a rx480/580 or 1060 6gb should do it. However what are the other specs of the machine and what mmo's do you play?

This...MMO GPU requirements vary widely. Anything from the cards mentioned to a GTX1080 may be necessary for 4k.

JestersRevenge

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

SWToR was my first love and I devoted almost four years to it. Have since played Guild Wars 2, some Warcraft, ESO and dabbled in a few others. Usually anything with a World v. World component causes my rig to chug, but I'm assuming that's on most PCs depending on the number of players. If I recall correctly I have an i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970, 8 GB of RAM, a 1 TB HD, and an 850 watt power source (yeah, some overkill). I have a mid-tower case so anything new may be a tight fit. Waiting to see how Star Citizen and Crowfall play out before a serious upgrade...or a SWToR with actual WvW PvP...one can hope...

FF14 HW is equally hard on both, at 1440 I can hit sub 60 in some areas with my 1080 at 100% utilization, this seems to be due to whatever lighting model they use for "glowing" stuff and for water reflections (Tessellation is used heavily throughout the game). Cities of course flog my poor i5 over the head, but only during busy times do I see frame drops.