[SOLVED] 4k monitor or 2k monitor for GTX 1080Ti SLI

Aug 9, 2019
I already have 2 GTX 1080TI from my previous PC which i used for only editing and recently i purchased MSI X570 MEG ACE motherboard and Ryzen 7 3700X. I want to use there my present GTX 1080TI card and want to SLI for gaming and editing too. Before buying monitor i researched alot and found that 4K monitor is perfect at 32inch if i want to experience at fullest. But in my country 32inch 4K monitor is out of stock which i wanted to purchase. Now there left is 27 inch in the market QHD and UWQHD.
I wanted to purchased 32 inch 4K monitor so that i can play games at higher quality and max settings but 60hz is fine for me. Now if i purchase 27inch 2K monitor and play games at 144hz will it affect my performance?
I'm confused which monitor to purchase as i don't want to sell off those 2 GTX 1080Ti becuase no one is buying that card since RTX launched and if they want to purchase also they want for $250.

Solution
SLI is simply changing into new multi-gpu technology.

Till now, SLI is/was provided by NVidia and has nothing to do with game developers. It's changing into exact opposite - developers will enable multi-gpu and you will be able to play with as many GPUs you have.
It had everything to do with developers, they had to implement sli support in their games and invest time and money in refining and extracting good scaling. As gpu's got stronger and the sli need deminished the number of people using sli dropped, this has lead to less incentive for developers to invest in it and this has been a downward spiral for many years.

Multi gpu support via DX12 has little support. Take a look at this video, Jay has been a hardcore multi gpu...
With at least a single 1080ti you can expect to get 1440p 16:9 or 21:9 with fps above 60, assuming that the processor can still follow.
The monitor, you should be looking at with your 2x 1080ti, should have 1440p and at least 100hz refresh rate and ideally with GSync.
Something like Acer XB271HU, ASUS PG279Q, ASUS PG35VQ, Acer X34P, Alienware AW3418DW, etc. would be really nice.

Note: if you have already 2x1080ti...do not sell them..just use em

I’d go 2k high Hz over 4K regardless of gpu choice. Higher Hz over resolution.

It will depend on the game how much Sli helps you. Sli support is dying and when implemented the gains are usually poor. Try both single and dual gpu’s in your games, you may find you don’t benefit from sli (could even be worse) and that selling 1 card allows you to recover some money on a card you don’t use.

Aug 9, 2019
  1. Dont't sell your cards because 1080ti SLI is at least 30% more powerful than single 2080ti.
  2. If you're comfortable with 34" size, don't settle for less. You won't be able to play at 144FPS 4K anyway (on Ultra settings in new titles). Get a big 75HZ-100HZ monitor:
Is $600 affordable?
LG 34UC99-W
LG 34UC88
Samsung LC34J791WTUXEN

Thank you for the reply. $600 is affordable for me i can buy those monitors which you suggested but they are out of stock too and will have to wait till next stock.
Acer Predator X34 Pbmiphzx 34-inch UltraWide QHD Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology (Black)
This is almost $1.7k in my country and this is available. I'll purchase once it drops below $1k or near about $1k. Before that if new monitor comes out then will purchase that.

Aug 9, 2019
With at least a single 1080ti you can expect to get 1440p 16:9 or 21:9 with fps above 60, assuming that the processor can still follow.
The monitor, you should be looking at with your 2x 1080ti, should have 1440p and at least 100hz refresh rate and ideally with GSync.
Something like Acer XB271HU, ASUS PG279Q, ASUS PG35VQ, Acer X34P, Alienware AW3418DW, etc. would be really nice.

Note: if you have already 2x1080ti...do not sell them..just use em

I'm thinking of playing now with 1080p present monitor which is 60hz till stock refills and will use my 2nd GTX 1080TI for streaming in my old PC. I'm scared if game developers totally stop supporting SLI in newer games then buying 4K monitor with 100Hz monitor will be total loss as for editing i don't need 100Hz.

Aug 9, 2019
I’d go 2k high Hz over 4K regardless of gpu choice. Higher Hz over resolution.

It will depend on the game how much Sli helps you. Sli support is dying and when implemented the gains are usually poor. Try both single and dual gpu’s in your games, you may find you don’t benefit from sli (could even be worse) and that selling 1 card allows you to recover some money on a card you don’t use.

Yes sli is dying and I'm scared if game developers totally stop supporting SLI in newer games then buying 4K monitor with 100Hz monitor will be total loss as for editing i don't need 100Hz. The last monitor that i checked was Acer Predator X34 Pbmiphzx 34-inch UltraWide QHD Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology (Black) but it's overpriced. GTX 1080Ti asking price from customers is $250 and i purchased for $1000 during the time of freaking bitcoin trend.

Yes sli is dying and I'm scared if game developers totally stop supporting SLI in newer games then buying 4K monitor with 100Hz monitor will be total loss as for editing i don't need 100Hz. The last monitor that i checked was Acer Predator X34 Pbmiphzx 34-inch UltraWide QHD Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology (Black) but it's overpriced. GTX 1080Ti asking price from customers is $250 and i purchased for $1000 during the time of freaking bitcoin trend.

Till now, SLI is/was provided by NVidia and has nothing to do with game developers. It's changing into exact opposite - developers will enable multi-gpu and you will be able to play with as many GPUs you have.

It had everything to do with developers, they had to implement sli support in their games and invest time and money in refining and extracting good scaling. As gpu's got stronger and the sli need deminished the number of people using sli dropped, this has lead to less incentive for developers to invest in it and this has been a downward spiral for many years.

Multi gpu support via DX12 has little support. Take a look at this video, Jay has been a hardcore multi gpu user since the technology launched and even he says its dead. He does a good job of explaining why but in essence because it can now be implemented at 3 different levels it has become someone else's problem and no one want to put their hand in their pocket and pay to implement it
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=7_1OWdNDNLg

Solution
Sep 22, 2019
First and foremost you need to look at what games you play/like to play and see if they are supported with SLI. You can also create your own profiles for SLI and force SLI for ANY game using Nvidia Profile Inspector if you want to go that route. Takes some tinkering and learning, but if you want high end you need to understand how to tune your machine like a Ferrari.

Monitors are subjective. Personally I always try to go as large as your budget can afford and keeping your refresh rate around 120Hz. Samsung has a new 1440p 49" monitor out that looks super tempting.