smrkisk

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
Hello I want to buy my first home theater I found 5 speakers and subwoofer system that I will connect to AV Receiver Sony STR-DH740 and I want to use them on my pc mainly for almost everything YT, movies, games etc... I am using 1 monitor and TV connected to GPU as a 2nd monitor. Is there any way to connect my pc just with 1 additional hdmi to the receiver and it will play sound from pc into full theater ?

Solution
yea I got that but I do not want to go from AVR to monitor or tv because the AVR is fine about sound but the video is just 1080P 24 frames and 4K (frames I did not find) so It would be really sucks if I would have to work on like 1080p 24 hz monitor.

From what i can tell is this AVR has Hdmi v1.4 so it should still be able to do 1080p/60Hz and 4k at 24Hz. Sheesh my ancient Yamaha Rx1800 does 1080p 60Hz, I'd say yours should too. Hoping 1080p/24p in specs was meant to say 2060p not 1080p or 1080p/24Hz is an additional feature to watch movies at natural recorded frame rate. Just going to have to see.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most graphics cards have audio chips capable of doing exactly that so connecting directly to an AVR via Hdmi cable will give you surround and then display out from AVR to whichever, monitor or TV. Though, surround will also depend on content. Games and official movies are fine however youtube only supports stereo (ignore surround testers as they are all fake) in which case just use your AVR's virtual surround modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: dudio

smrkisk

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
Most graphics cards have audio chips capable of doing exactly that so connecting directly to an AVR via Hdmi cable will give you surround and then display out from AVR to whichever, monitor or TV. Though, surround will also depend on content. Games and official movies are fine however youtube only supports stereo (ignore surround testers as they are all fake) in which case just use your AVR's virtual surround modes.
yea I got that but I do not want to go from AVR to monitor or tv because the AVR is fine about sound but the video is just 1080P 24 frames and 4K (frames I did not find) so It would be really sucks if I would have to work on like 1080p 24 hz monitor.

smrkisk

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
What outputs does your GPU have, and what is connected to what?
My Gpu has 2 HDMI outputs so I wanted to buy 1 spliter from which it will go 1 hdmi to monitor 1 to TV and from the 2nd output I wanted to use hdmi to AVC but that is all. I do not want to use AVC for video just for sound.

USAFRet

Titan
My Gpu has 2 HDMI outputs so I wanted to buy 1 spliter from which it will go 1 hdmi to monitor 1 to TV and from the 2nd output I wanted to use hdmi to AVC but that is all. I do not want to use AVC for video just for sound.
A splitter for the monitor and TV will result in the same image on both.
If thats what you want, sure.

Then, you should be able to designate HDMI 2 for audio, and connect that to the AVR.

smrkisk

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
A splitter for the monitor and TV will result in the same image on both.
If thats what you want, sure.

Then, you should be able to designate HDMI 2 for audio, and connect that to the AVR.
So It is possible to use that AVC just for audio by that HDMI ? Because I was looking on webs, videos guides for more than hour and did not find single guide where would someone just connected it like that. Everybody used the HDMI output from AVC to monitor/TV aswell. Which I don't want to ...

USAFRet

Titan
So It is possible to use that AVC just for audio by that HDMI ? Because I was looking on webs, videos guides for more than hour and did not find single guide where would someone just connected it like that. Everybody used the HDMI output from AVC to monitor/TV aswell. Which I don't want to ...
Try it.
See if you can designate one specific HDMI output for the audio.

smrkisk

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
Also, what other audio outputs does your system have from the motherboard?
just 3.5 mm jacks but I need to know if It will work like that with that HDMI because I don't have the speakers or AVC yet and if It won't work like that I need to pick different AVC that supports 4K 60 frames which will be much more expensive.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

From what i can tell is this AVR has Hdmi v1.4 so it should still be able to do 1080p/60Hz and 4k at 24Hz. Sheesh my ancient Yamaha Rx1800 does 1080p 60Hz, I'd say yours should too. Hoping 1080p/24p in specs was meant to say 2060p not 1080p or 1080p/24Hz is an additional feature to watch movies at natural recorded frame rate. Just going to have to see.

Solution