Question 5 beeps on booting and no display

Jan 9, 2020
I recently bought components from a local shop and setup my new PC. These components were suggested by the executive in that shop itself.
  • Intel i5-9400F 9th Gen Processor (LGA1151)
  • Gigabyte B365M Gaming HD Motherboard (LGA 1151)
  • CoolerMaster MWE WHITE 450W 230V Power Supply (MPE-4501-ACABW-IN)
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX560 OC 4G Rev 2.0 (4GB DDR5) Graphics Card
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 1x16GB 3200MHz RAM
  • Antec GX202 Cabinet
I assembled everything myself and everything seems to be okay. Except, after a day or two, whenever I turn on the machine for the first time, it gives 5 beep sound and then there will be no output on the screen.

At that time, I checked whether the caps lock button in Keyboard is working or not, and its working. I mean the light turns off and on when I press the caps lock key.
So when I encounter this problem, I press the power button in PC cabinet and hold it a couple of secs, so that the machine will turn off. Once its completely off, and if I press the power button again to turn it on, it boots up without issues (no beeps).

I tried swapping the RAM from first slot to the second one. Tried resetting the CMOS (by removing the CMOS battery and putting it back there after a couple of mins). Made sure that no cables were loose.
But the issue happens sometimes. I mean the 5 beep sound and no display issue!

When this issue occurs, I tried unscrewing the side panel of my PC cabinet and found that all fans are running. ie, CPU fan, cabinet rear fan, cabinet front dual fans (with LED), red lights on the motherboard, etc.

For UPS, am using my existing APC Back-UPS 600

Any suggestions on resolving this issue? Or any diagnostics tools available? Will it be a power issue or something?

Thanks in advance.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Have you solved your issue? I have the same problem with a Gigabyte Z390 board with i5-9600KF processor. I've seen a similar thread on Gigabyte's forums with a 3 series board combo'e with an i5-9x00F processor.

Jan 9, 2020
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816

says here 5 beeps is a CPU error
do you have the CPU AUX power cable connected properly?
Sorry for the late reply. I checked all the cables. Looks like all were connected properly.

But if I follow specific pattern when I boot the PC, this issue seems to be not happening. I guess its a voltage related problem maybe.

What I followed is:

• My APC UPS is always connected to the main power.
  • So when I want to boot the PC, I will first switch on the UPS(long press the power button), then quickly turn the kill of the SMPS to ON state.
  • When the UPS becomes ready (there's a initial testing or something which the UPS does automatically), I switch off the UPS by long pressing the power button of UPS. Keep in mind that, the SMPS switch is still left in ON state
  • Then I switch on the UPS again (long press the power button of UPS).
  • Once the UPS becomes ready, I press the power button in by PC Cabinet, to boot the PC.
  • So whenever I follow these steps in a same time frame (not too fast, not too slow between the above steps), the PC seems to be booting without issues.
But during evening time (after 7pm, where the load is heavy in electric lines, atleast here in my place - South India), even if follow the above steps, sometimes the beep issue occurs. But if I press the hard reboot button (in PC Cabinet), it reboots without any issues!

Does this hints you anything? I mean what should I test or what could be reason. My guess is the initial voltage problem or something. Am not good with electrical/electronics. So I don't have much idea either.

Thanks

Jan 9, 2020
Have you solved your issue? I have the same problem with a Gigabyte Z390 board with i5-9600KF processor. I've seen a similar thread on Gigabyte's forums with a 3 series board combo'e with an i5-9x00F processor.
Hi, no it's not resolved yet. But I figured out a temporary workaround, which I posted in my above reply. Please check. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS